Chapter 3

You went back to Astrid, confused and even a little scared. "There, uhm.. I.. That.. A guy called me intruder." "That's just the keeper, it happened before. Just ignore him."
How were you supposed to ignore him when he appeared so suddenly? "He also said something about hide and seek." "If you really want to play along with his sick little games, he is probably in one of the rooms deeper in the sanctuary."
You waited until the others went to sleep before searching for him, not wanting to seem too curious. You silently walked into a room, seeing the jester sitting on a bed and facing the wall.
"Ohhh, how boring.. You took so long to find Cicero.." he snickered to himself and turned his head towards you. He had quite dark circles under his eyes but seemed very much awake. "I-i.. am sorry. But don't you think it's time for bed?"
"Oh, but the keeper doesn't sleep, no, no, no. He just.. Keeps." you heard his sick laughter again. "Shh! The others are sleeping." "How boring you are.. You should make up for being so rude, don't you think?"
You saw his grin and took a few steps back. "So sweet and tiny. Almost like the boy i-" "lured away so his parents could be killed, yes. You.. bastard." "Mother will punish you for being mean to her keeper." "Oh yeah? I think.. I.." you thought for a second. "I think Mother doesn't like you!"
His grin disappeared and was replaced by a terrified expression. "No, that's not true! Take that back! Mother does like Cicero!" "No, she doesn't!" He growled loudly.
The next thing you knew was you laying in bed with a terrible headache. "No, Cicero will NOT apologise to him! He said mean words!" his high pitched voice came from the kitchen area and made your headache even worse, if that was even possible.
Babette stood next to your bed and reached you a potion. "You should be more careful with what you say to him. Cicero has a rather.. short temper." "Sorry, i just.. He is the one who killed my parents."
"No, he isn't. Bandits were starting that fire from further away and he tried to keep that horrible view from you." "Is that true? O-oh man.. And i told him such horrible things.. Now i feel really guilty.."
There was a loud crash and you both hurried to the stairs. The table had broken down and Cicero and Nazir were fighting with each other. "Will you apologise, you stupid clown?!" "No! Cicero won't!"
"Stop!" your voice echoed through the whole sanctuary. Nazir got ahold of Cicero's shirt and held him in place. "No, please. I.. I don't want someone else to get hurt because of the dumb things i did."
You came closer and Nazir kept him tight so he wouldn't attack you again. "I-i.. I'm sorry, Cicero.. I know i shouldn't have said such things. Of course Mother likes you. You are the keeper after all."
He stopped struggling so much in Nazir's grip and looked at you. "But how can Cicero be sure you don't lie?" "I.. Uhm.. I swear by the night mother that i don't lie to you and that i will never lie again."
He raised an eyebrow but his expression slowly softened. Nazir eventually let go of him and went away. "C-cicero?" He looked down at you. "C-can you tell me what happened?" "Ohhh, not much.. You were insulting Cicero and so he smashed your head against the table repeatedly."
"O-oh.. Can.. We still try to be friends?" "A.. Friend? Cicero gets a friend?" You nodded. "If you want to." "But Cicero never had a friend before."
You gave him an awkward hug. "W-well, now you do."