18. d o s t - friend

Start from the beginning

      "Such a drama queen. He couldn't even play. The only reason he was there cause he was Coach's favorite and used his face for publicity of the team. They used to call him Princess cause how high maintenance dear Zachary was for the team. Ate half of our budget." He rolled his eyes.

     "Oh, I remember those days. The spirit of those games. And the after game tradition we had. You guys would eat almost two or three burgers each. I miss us. I miss those times. How close we were." Maheen eyes flashed up to Khan and then back to the arm she was stitching.

     She scowled at the woman tending to her wound. For heaven's sake, she had a huge asś Diamond wedding ring on her finger. And she was still making googly eyes at him. "Those were the best times, weren't they, Khan? We were a force to reckon with. Can't believe it's been that long. We were such a power couple And remember how Zach used to third wheel us." She started to laugh and glanced back at him. Bitćh. "It's cause Ayla-"

     "MAHEEN!" Zach's voice thundered from the kitchen. A dark look crossed his face.

     The few times she had seen Zach, she would have never thought he had an angry bone in him. But there he was clutching on to the juice bottle, eyes flaming with fury. Every bone in his body was stiff. As if he was in great pain and it was hard to keep it in.

     "All done." The woman in front of her whispered, trying to diffuse the fumes.

     But in vain. Because she could feel the person holding her hand was also in distress. Hearing that name had caused him a great deal of agony. From what he told her, she knew that name belonged to his sister and he hadn't seen her since the death of his mother. Why would she bring that up?

     The woman in question was rather just busy in packing the First Aid Box. Unaware of the turmoil she caused.

     "Hey." She turned towards him. "Look at me."

     He didn't look up. He was staring at his shoes. As if he hadn't even heard her. He was busy fighting his inner uproar. This time it was him holding onto her hand. With so much force that it was constricting the flow of blood in her veins, but she didn't care. She just let him be. Because he needed her and she was going to be there.

     His body was rigid, shoulders squared, jaw clenched so hard that she wasn't sure he was even breathing. As if trying to control the hell of a storm that was brewing in him.

     "Asfandyar." She dared to whisper and his eyes flared up and he looked up into her eyes. His own roaring with the chaos of emotions. "I'm here." That's all he needed and she could hear him breathe.

     And then she heard the clatter of the First Aid Box and the shatter of the class in Kitchen. Her gaze went to the woman first. She was rooted in her place with a terrifying shock. She glanced at Zach and he was frozen amongst the shattered pieces of glass. His eyes widened and mouth open, but with loss of words.

     "Your name. She knows your name. Uh. What." The woman seemed like she was on the verge of a mental breakdown. "What the hell, Asf-"

     "DON'T" he stood up, letting go of her hand. His eyes hardened. "DON'T SAY IT." He spat as he warned the woman who was fuming with anger. "Can I talked to you outside?" His eyes narrowed at her and the woman nodded.

     "I'll be right back." Turning towards her, his eyes softened. She nodded, blinking at him. "Zach wrap that bandage on her arm. I don't want it to get infected."

     "My pleasure man." Zach flashed that playful smile at him, hiding the shock underneath it.

     "Without your exorcism romance."