Nighttime Celebration

The devastation on the other side of the door was expected, yet it did nothing to dull the shock. Benches lay over turned, brooms scattered across the floor. Gryffindor jerseys and armour had obviously been thrown and many now hung off pipes and hooks. At the centre of it all stood Oliver. Shoulders hunched and heaving with laboured breath, his back facing towards me. Water and sweat dripped down his bare torso, his muscular arms held clenched fists. I sucked in a quiet breath before continuing into the war zone. I was overly conscious of the click of the door latch closing. "Mad Oliver" was completely different to anything I had ever encountered and the first time I had it had nearly scared me away. Yet here I was, walking slowly towards the angered beast. Though I knew deep down he would rather hurt himself than hurt me.

"O-Oliver?" I cursed myself for stuttering, but my quiet voice was enough to get his attention. He spun quickly and I gasped. A fire of which I had never seen burned in his eyes, as he glared at me. Though it didn't last long as he suddenly pushed past me to the lockers along one side of the room.

"Oliver?" I squeaked as I stumbled backwards, though he remained silent. Opening one of the metal doors, he grabbed a towel from inside and began to roughly wipe his body dry.

"What's wrong?" I asked as he seethed into the now damp cotton. He fixed me with an icy stare.

"I'm sorry, were you not watching out there? Or were you to distracted? Did you have more important things to do?" His snappy tone shocked me and my mouth opened in amazement.

"What are you on about? You saw me there. You knew I was cheering you on." I couldn't believe his words where had this anger come from?

"Oh please, if my game were that important to you you'd have at least been there on time." His whole body radiated with build up frustration and fury and for the first time in a long time I felt the smallest amount of fear at being in his presence.

"I got there as soon as I could, there was an emergency at the barn I had to take care of." He snorted and I gasped in shock.

"Yeah right. That bloody horse is more important than me?" I knew he expected me to say no, I knew he thought I would fold. Kneel down to him and beg for forgiveness, but I wasn't.

"For a matter of fact, yes she is and if I had to pick between you and her. She would win every time! You know why? Because she's been with me through the most difficult times of my life, whereas you only seem to cause them!" Silence. I knew I had taken it to far as soon as the words had left me lips, I knew what I had said would hurt him but it was to late to take it back. His whole demeanour suddenly changed his anger melted away into disbelief and his eyes softened. He became My Oliver again not some rage fuelled beast, but the Oliver I fell in love with. Yet I couldn't bare to apologise not after the way he had just treated me, after the hurtful things he had said. So deciding not to stay and shout and scream, I would instead turn and walk straight out of the door. It had barely clicked shut when I could hear him approaching it so I did the childish thing...and ran.

I was faster than him, I knew that from last year with our playful races round the castle. Then however I never thought I would be running from him with a purpose. I had cleared the end of the tunnel and was half way across the Quidditch pitch before Oliver burst out into the grey light of the storm. His eyes scanned for me, but I had already merged seamlessly into a departing crowd of spectators all heading for the warmth of the castle. Oliver, still bare chested and panting turned his fist colliding with the hard wooden doorframe in which he stood. I shook my head and pulled up my hood, making me nondescript within the crowd. I trudged along with them the mud often splattering up my soaked trousers from heavy footsteps of others. I sighed keeping my downcast face hidden, as I sunk further into my misery. I wondered, how how one day could begin with so much promise and then end up being so utterly horrific? Glancing up I noticed we approached the courtyard leading to the barn and taking my chance I carefully slipped out of the group, tiptoeing extremely lightly in order not to tread on anyone's feet. I entered the barn and was shocked to find that the devastation of this morning...had never happened. The doors hung perfectly straight, the decorative lion once again roared proudly on its stand and the scattered straw had gone leaving the concrete floor clean and tidy. I smiled, making a mental note to thank Hagrid the next time I saw him, but my moment of happiness soon faded and I began to climb up the hay pile. I often sat up here when I needed to think, laying for hours on the scratching comfort of the hay. Grace came and stretched her neck, her nose peeking up next to me. I tickled it and giggled as she wiggled her lip, I loved my little mare. Always so sweet, always there...