Chapter Twenty-One: Taste of Power

The announcement was made and the party was to begin, the sound of battle drums filled the halls, the burrowed flesh down below moved faster than the eye could see; but I saw it perfectly. Most stripped down to their lingerie and boxers, others just allowed their movements to pull their prey in. It was more of a pre-orgy than anything else,

"Oh this is the best part, come on." Gavriila grabbed my hand and dragged me down the stairs to join the sweaty mess. They made way for us, not once allowing a finger or hair to touch our skin, not without our permission at least. However, Gavriila has taken this whole queen thing to her advantage, grabbing a random vampire from the crowd; she grinds on him right under her father's gaze.

I felt dizzy, my body not exactly taking in the heat well, the music loud and matching the fast pounding of my heart. The room spins under my feet, breathing unsteady as my knees finally gave out.

'What is that, mommy?' The little girl practically screamed with excitement, I watched her point up at the dark screen above her head showing the planets circulating the sun.

'That is Saturn, the second biggest planet in the universe. Do you know the first?' The woman held her close, a familiar smile that made her brown eyes and cheeks burn burgundy.

'Jupiter! That's me.'

'Yup that's you.'

'Mommy? Why did you name me Jupiter?' Her curiosity has never waned, even in this day and age.

Her mother hummed while tapping her chin to stall time. 'I've told you many times before, Jupiter.'

'Can you tell me again? Please.'

'Okay...okay. You were born during witching hour in the middle of the woods near the oldest tree in all of Louisiana. After bringing you into the world, I looked up at the sky and saw a star twinkling near the crescent moon- it was the only one showing itself through the city light. Right then I knew what name I should give you.'

'Mommy, who is that?' The little girl turned around, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion as her gaze showed concern towards me. I grew stiff, a sudden surge of fear came over me, not because I was detected in my own memory, but only for the fact the last time I've seen my mother's face the truth uncovered itself.

I went to look away as the woman turned, to only capture another gaze, one with the family trade mark of electric blue eyes, one I've seen head on before watching it lose its last speck of light. Urk strolled past me as if I were just a ghost in the wind, he wore a young meat suit that blended in with the crowd, but still held suspicion. 'It's time, Meadow. Give the child to us.'

Mom turned and gasped in fear, she clutched the little girl close to her chest while stepping backwards into the blinding projector installed in the floorboards. The light defined the haunting stare, lips trembling and chest heaving. 'No, you can not take my daughter.'

Urk persisted, he was the man to never give up. 'You can always come with us, see her grow, teach her everything you learned as a witch. We do not want to break a mother's bond with their child.'

'I'm not going to Hell, neither is Jupiter. Tell that fucking snake to look somewhere else for this prophecy bullshit.'

'Mommy.' The little girl whimpered in fear, her sobs echoed off the walls, the ground tumbled under our feet and the air shifts into a stiff and suffocating atmosphere.

'Shh, honey, calm down.' Even her mother's soft tone wasn't enough to lower the amount of fear the little one held. The room held wind that can knock a ground man off his feet, Urk struggled through the dark magic, from behind I can see his skin stretching with the force. 'Jupiter, honey, you have to stop.'