In town (Garrett and Sam)

Version:1.0StartHTML:000000174EndHTML:000028405StartFragment:000000418EndFragment:000028369StartSelection:000000418EndSelection:000028369SourceURL:about:blank

" Come on Sam lets leave," Garrett commented to her while she was strolling down the sidewalk.

" You do know you don't have to follow me if you don't like coming to a human bizarre," Sam said while looking at all the stands set up in a row. She picked up a brown satchel and inspected it. Sam looked over to the older, grey-haired gentleman on the other side of the stand. " How much is this exactly?"

" 40 Metica" Metica was what some people called gold pieces in this world. The older generation families will still refer to them as gold, but when Fay started to appear in this world the name was changed.

" You have to be kidding me! Why so much?!"

"It's handmade and sturdy."

" Well, I can't afford that. I'm sorry." She gave the satchel back to the gentleman hesitantly and walked away."

Garrett ran up to Sam to stay at her pace. " Why didn't you buy it? I can tell you want it." He gave her a smirk.

" I don't have enough I already said that." She didn't even look at Garrett and keep looking at the vegetables they were passing.

" We have enough. What are you talking about?"

" I Don't have enough. If you are talking about the money, we both own, I am not using that! If someone catches on its stolen money, we would have to run. Again. I just want a nice day to do whatever for once, and to get away from you, but you followed anyway." She said in a matter of fact/serious way.

Sam was not sure why Garrett even followed her here anyway. This was a human Bizarre. If Fay came, they would have to be in their human form and Garrett Hated his human form. She has been with the same guy for about five years, and she has known by now he feels defenseless when he's like this. Usually, Garrett would wait for her in the wood or go to the Fay Bizarre in the next town over. Maybe he was just here to get on her nerves just like always.

" Fine, I'll leave you. Just meet me in the wood." Garrett took off on his own.

"Finally." Sam started to pass many stands and inspected the items. She did have some money, so she pitched in and bought some food such as peaches, cucumber, grapes, olives, and seasonings. All items that she would not get while traveling. When she was with Garrett, it was a lot of meat and when she didn't hunt she didn't find food like this laying on the ground. Plus she was just relieved to have items her size for once. That is the main reason she didn't pass up on items like this.

She handed over the money to the vendor, and he gave her bags full of her supplies. It was already getting dusk, and she had to walk back to the wood to meet with Garrett.

Great.

Their meeting place was right outside the wood. The edge of the wood was about an hour and a half walk away.
—————————————————————

She was officially an hour into her walk. She has been out of the town for thirty minutes now. At this point, it was a plain open field and grass. No trees and no buildings. She has been independent since she was 11, but Sam tried her best to even pass through this part of the country with Garrett. She was so vulnerable with no places for cover and no places for camouflage. The best hope she had was if grass was tall enough. Most of the brush was twice as tall as her, but there were barren spots and spots were grass broke, because of how dry it was, and it was smaller than her.

In the fields she would not hide per se, did not want to seem frightened, but she did watch her every move and when there were rocks or rare cover around she would take the grace from the goddess.

Today freaked her out even more. It was starting to get dark. Sam rushed through the brush as fast as she could, every once in a while looking around her and behind to make sure nothing was around.

(I can't believe I am saying this, but I should have left with Garrett.) She lost track of time, and she could actually see the sun going down.

Sam had to catch her breath. She bent down to the ground and put her head between her legs.

Alright, I only have thirty minutes left. I can do this.

She then heard a crunch in the grass behind her. Sam froze in place.

She could hear a low rumbling sound and the grass parting. She was too frightened to turn around. Sam froze in place.

"What is that," She said more to herself in a whisper tone.

Maybe if I don't make any sudden movements or noise it will go away.

In the grass, two glowing yellow orbs started to appear and come closer to her. She heard the rumbling again. Sam tried to turn around but stumbled.

The grass completed parted and revealed a cougar. The light tan cat had its body close to the ground in a pouncing position. Its head was close to the ground and its mouth was shut, but she could still hear the growl emanating from its body. The yellow eyes were pinned right on Sam as she was frozen in spot.

She knew she wouldn't get away from a predatory animal, a cat at that. So she got up off her but and took off as fast as she could. She had her now and arrow with her, but she was still not a professional with it yet. She could stand and shoot and be a marksman, but running and aiming was a different story for her. Sam was still working on getting near the target while walking. She took off as fast as bar could and once in a while turned her body around to attempt to aim at the huge cat behind her. Sam would turn her body, fumble with the positioning of the arrow, then release. She completely missed twice now, the one time she hit the cat it wasn't even in a vital. It just ricocheted off its body.

At this point, she gave up and ran as fast as she could. She stumbled a few times but made sure she did not fall over or slow down.

She was about to just give up when an even bigger creature stepped behind her and blocked the next swipe of the Cougar. Sam turned around as she was still running and noticed the creature caught a direct attack from the cat's claws, causing a big gash across the huge creatures arm. At this point, Sam realized the huge creature was a fay, and it was completely blocking the path of the cougar. She slowed down and stopped to observe what would happen.

The fay stood his ground and observed the cougars movements. The Cougar was just pacing back and forth trying to get around to reach its meal.

Since the fay knew he wouldn't outright attack he summoned a flame to his hands.

Garrett?

The fay assumed to be Garrett walked up to the creature. The closer he got with the flames the more agitated the cougar. It started to growl and swing its claws at Garrett, not actually reaching him. The Cougar finally gave in and ran off.

The fay turned around to face the cowering Sam.

Yup, it was Garrett.

Sam walked over with disappointment in her eyes.

" What's gotten into you? Didn't I just save your skin?"

" Exactly. Know you will hold it above my head for the rest of my life saying I do need you. I can't take care of myself, I do need this bracelet. Am I getting warm yet?"

Garrett looked down at her." Not even close."

"Whatever." Same just walked off. She knew what she said was a cliché, but she didn't know what else to say. If he wasn't going to hold it over her head, what was he wanting?"

" Here let me help." Garrett came near and about picked her up by her clothing.

" No! Leave me alone! I am fine. Thank you."

" Fine. Then don't fall behind." Garrett walked off.

Did he just do that? He did not just leave her behind!

Sam started to run. " Wait. I said Wait you big lug!" At this point, she just thought he couldn't hear her or was ignoring her, so she stopped running and went into her own mind.

She felt Garrett pick her up. She was about to object because she's told him a thousand times not to pick her up like that, but restrained herself. Garrett moved her to his shoulder.

Sam was quiet for a time. Then she remembered the scratch.

"Garrett!"

" I'm right here. Stop yelling." He turned his head to view her.

" I just remembered your arm. Is it OK?" She whispered then last part.

Garrett stopped walking. " My arm?" He looked down." Oh, that. It's fine. I'm not concerned about me. Is everything OK with you?" Garrett moved Sam to his hands and held her, so she could properly talk to him.

" Yeah don't worry about it."

" Oh and almost forgot." Garrett moved her to one hand and dug through his own satchel. He pulled out the brown homemade satchel from the bizarre. " Here. And no it no big deal. You'll eventually need one anyway. It was either this or you made one yourself, and we don't have time for that."

Sam grabbed it, and sure enough, it was the one from the stand. She was not going to ask how he got it.

She started to yawn.

" Get some rest."

Sam looked up in confusion. " You sure?"

You'll just slow me down, and what else are you going to do? Just sleep." Garrett spoke in a gruff voice.

Sam laid down after Garrett places her back on his shoulder. He pulled his coat collar up, so she wouldn't topple over the side. Within minutes Sam was fast asleep.

" Night pipsqueak." He said soft enough she so she couldn't hear.