❄6) Perfection 🍀

Hands shaking, you grabbed your katana and placed your palm onto the ground, "Snow breath; Fourth style, Subzero Shatter!"

You pinned the direction of the frost, and it froze directly under the stranger, "Break!" Using the hilt of your katana, you caused a huge crack in the icy ground.

Even though the crack was nowhere near big enough to make him drop down, it allowed Tanjirou some time to get back up.

The masked man had tried to ignore you as visible air left your mouth; your body temperature dropped a considerable amount.

But soon enough, his hollow eyes turned to you, "You seem to be more capable than the boy."

He pounced over to you, causing your balance to go off when he landed, "It is not my challenge to break that boulder, Mr Urokodaki made that his." You were instantly hit down, a cry erupting from you out of pain.

"(Y/n)!" Tanjirou cried out, "Fight me not her!"

The masked male turned to him, "Let me show you what you have been healing (Y/n)." He ran over, "Nothing but a foolish boy!"

You gritted your teeth as they went head to head, "I'm stronger than you'll ever be! I already split a boulder!"

You could only watch as your teammate was badly beaten, "Tanjirou.."

"You've gained nothing. You haven't mastered anything!" He shouted, stepping back from the badly hurt boy.

"Y-You've split a boulder?" Tanjirou deadpanned.

"Not without the breathing technique taught by Urokodaki; Total concentration!"

You gasped, 'He knows the old man?'

"You just memorized it as a fact... But your body doesn't understand anything!" He suddenly began consecutively slashing his weapon, "Beat it into your flesh and blood!"

"More!"

"More!"

"More!"

"Beat it into the marrow of your bones, so that you become the embodiment of the secrets Urokodaki taught you!"

This caused your teammate to get truly frustrated, "I do! Every day I try with (Y/n) by my side, as hard as I can!" He faced the boulder, "But no matter how hard I try I never progress.."

He was caught off guard as many more blows were made at him, "Don't 'try', just do it! If you're a man! The only other choice is to... Lie down and die! So make yourself progress!"

Tanjirou readied himself as the male made for a final hit, "Attack! What have you got?" He was close to making an impact, "Show me your strength!"

In a swift collision, Tanjirou was hit upwards, knocking him cold out, and his harsh drop was made soft by you.

Holding his upper half in a protective manner as the man took his leave, "I leave the rest to you."

Without any notice, a girl had landed next to you, just as Tanjirou woke back up, "You alright? I'm sorry for what he did.."

In almost an instant, the boy went on a rant to the girl, getting out of your embrace, "Did you see what just happened? That was an incredible blow! It was beautiful! That's how I want to be too! Is that even possible-" You hit his head.

"Put a cap on it." You hissed, vein popping out your forehead, "Can you help him?"

The little girl smiled, "Of course, I'm sure he can do it, I'll watch over you." Your heart swelled at her adorable appearance, and at the sad truth of her current state.

"My name is (Y/n), and this is Tanjirou." You tightened your mask which had loosened.

She nodded, "I am Makomo, and the other guy is Sabito."

///////// 3 hours later

You watched in awe as the girl pointed out all the tips she could give, even teaching you and Tanjirou about breathing and total concentration.

She explained how it accelerates your blood flow and heartbeat, and your temperature goes up as well.

'In my case, it goes down.' You mentally took note.

"Your lungs expand and bring lots of air into your blood... You're still human, but you get strong like a demon."

You added in, "So my power must double over then?"

She shook her head, "No. Even though you are a demon, your power will not go any higher from concentrated breathing. You are now biologically different, the technique will affect you differently." She paused to think, "It will probably help you focus your sword style."

You nodded, "That's fine I guess."

She explained to Tanjirou how it will excite his bones and muscle, making him hot so that he could fight like a demon.

And he looked really apprehensive...

"You must train so hard that you could die." She got up, "I don't think there's much more you can do."

The teen boy looked deep in his thoughts, but came around with a new determination, "Okay."

/////////2 Years later

Age: 17

"Tanjirou! I'm not done with your hair!" You chased him with a comb, "Just because your 15 now, okay I get it."

You ran into his back, his height and overall growth making you feel so proud.

"Can I comb it now?" You looked up as his mature facade broke, him sitting down on a rock, like an obedient puppy.

You laughed, but went serious, "Tanjirou, are you truly ready?"

He took time to think, "Will you watch over me with Makomo?" Your eyes widened as you finished combing his unruly locks.

You had actually froze on the spot, unable to move, "(Y/n)? Oh Kami, did I say something-"

He warmly smiled as he returned the hug, "I am always watching over you."

Your heart sped up, signalling your anticipation, and you pulled Tanjirou up, "He is here."

Tanjirou looked ahead, and sure enough, Sabito was stood ready with a real katana.

Your friend went ahead, "Today, I will win." He took out his katana as well.

"After half a year, you've finally got the face of a man." He took a fighting stance.

However, the fight was over in an instant, with Tanjirou splitting Sabito's mask in two.

You covered your lower mask with the sleeve of your yukata, "He did it."

You missed the sad smile Sabito gave to your partner before he disappeared, and began to cry at the sight of the destroyed obstacle.

"You split the boulder Tanjirou!" You ran over to him, and gave him a huge hug.

He was so shocked, that he couldn't even speak, "I-I smelt out an 'opening thread'.. That's how I won." Was all he managed.

"I'm so proud of you..." You sighed as another person joined in the hug.

"You're amazing kids."