Chapter 3 // Morning

Hiccup has been chief of Berk for nearly a year now.  The death of his father taking a toll on the poor man but with all of the work that needs to be done around Berk, it has become a nice distraction for Hiccup.  He was come to a quick realization of how difficult being chief actually is and questions everyday how his father didn't go insane or rather how he retained some sanity.

Every morning, Hiccup rose with the sun to start with his chiefly duties.  His alarm clock definitely helps Hiccup wake in the morning.  Each morning a loud thumping on the roof causes sand and dirt to rain down on Hiccup from the support beams above his bed.  This morning has been no different from the others.

"I'm up....I said I'm up!" Hiccup calls out as the thumping from Toothless continues to grow louder. Hiccup's once clean bed now covered in a lovely layer of dirt and sand.  Hiccup gets up from the bed as the banging continues.  Quickly, he puts on his armor before walking downstairs and out of the house.  

Hiccup didn't know how sand and dirt kept getting into the house, especially on the beams way above the floor until he came home early one day and noticed Toothless taking a cat nap across the wooden beams. 

"You know you're supposed to wipe your feet off before you go inside Toothless. We've gone over this," Hiccup says aloud as he makes his way around the house to look up at the roof.  The black dragon stares down at his rider before chittering out a dragon like laugh.  Hiccup follows suit with a chittering of his own as if to mock the dragon.

Toothless jumps down from the roof and lands in front of Hiccup.  Toothless turns to his right and grabs his saddle with his mouth.  Turning back to Hiccup, he sets the saddle down on the group before looking up at Hiccup.  Toothless is practically dancing with excitement as his tongue hangs out of his mouth and he pants heavily.  The large dragon leans his head downward and nudges the saddle towards Hiccup.

"I know, bud," Hiccup tells Toothless, "but we can't go flying right now."  Toothless' elated attitude quickly disappears after Hiccup finishes speaking. 

"Don't be like that, bud," Hiccup says to Toothless as he watches the dragons facial features change.  The dragon practically roles his eyes at his rider.  His mouth opens and closes in a mocking sort of way.

"Is someone not happy with me?  Big baby boo," Hiccup comments with a smile on his face.  Toothless glares down at Hiccup, very much expressing his annoyance about the situation. 

"I promise we will go flying later.  Does that sound good to you?"  Toothless' expression did not change much but his sensors raised upwards to show that he was indeed listening.  Hiccup feels bad for keeping his friend grounded.  Hiccup has been busy implementing new contraptions and upgrading the old ones.  All while also maintaining peace within Berk and the villages on near by islands.

"I'll even give you extra fish for dinner," Hiccup coaxes.  Toothless' express brightens dramatically at the idea of getting extra fish.  The elated look from earlier returns to the dragons face.  Hiccup chuckles to himself as he watches the over grown lizard bounce off to who knows where.

Hiccup makes his way to the center of the village.  The sun has just risen above the waters, a beautiful array of colors fill the morning sky.  The gloomy clouds yet to make their appearance.  Winter is nearly over for Berk.  Soon the sun will warm the earth causing the remaining snow to melt.

"Good morning, Chief," a man's voice rings out, cutting through the silence.  Hiccup looks toward the man and grins.

"How are you this morning, Birger," Hiccup greeted with a smile.  The trader places down a crate of goods onto a table.