Chapter 7 - Trouble at School

Start from the beginning

"Ms. Snow, hello." My principal, Mr Ryder, greets Caitlin, shaking her hand.

"Hello." Caitlin says.

"MacKenzie, you may come in." Mr Ryder says. I stand up, shouldering my backpack and pass by Caitlin with my head down.

Ah, Jeez, I'm screwed.

I sit down at the desk and Caitlin sits next to me. 

Mr Ryder sits at his desk. 

"Now, I'm not going to sugar coat it." Mr Ryder starts. "MacKenzie Raymond, you are in some serious trouble right now. Jack is going to the emergency room to get his face checked out but the nurse believes his nose is broken. Fortunately for you, Jack's parents aren't pressing charges."

"Oh thank god." Caitlin says, relieved. 

"On one condition." Mr Ryder says. 

I knew there was a catch, Jack would never let me go that easy. 

"Which is?" Caitlin asks. 

"Considering Miss Raymond's background," Mr Ryder starts. "And the fact that this is the second time she has acted out in the past few months, we are advising that she go to therapy."

"Therapy?" Caitlin asks. 

"Yes, therapy." Mr Ryder says. "Somewhere she can talk out all the issues and things going on in her head and in her life. Both the administration and Jack's parents think it would be beneficial." Caitlin thinks. "Of course, if you don't know a place, the school would be happy to provide you with a list of options." 

"No, I think I know a place." Caitlin says. 

"Good." Mr Ryder says. "The guidance counselor here is requesting monthly reports from Miss Raymond's therapy sessions, to keep track and make sure she is making progress."

"Okay." Caitlin says. 

"In addition," Mr Ryder starts. "And it's unfortunate but Miss Raymond will be suspended for a week starting tomorrow." 

I bury my head in my hands. 

***

I'm looking out of the window of the car as Caitlin drives.

My head lays on my fist as I look outside.

"Mack." Caitlin says as we drive down the road.

I'm silent.

"MacKenzie." Caitlin says.

"What?" I snap, not looking at her.

"You can't act out like that." Caitlin says. "Ever. It's unacceptable."

I slowly lift my head and turn to look at her. She thinks it's MY fault.

"I was protecting my friend." I tell her.

We stop at a red light.

Caitlin takes her hands off the wheel, placing them in her lap and looks at me.

"Why didn't you tell the administration that then?" Caitlin asks.
"They wouldn't believe me anyways." I tell her truthfully. "Jack was right." I sigh as I put my head back on my fist and look out the window. "No matter what, I'm just the orphan girl."

"No." Caitlin says. "You're not just an orphan, you're our family and--"

I cut her off.

"Stop, please." I say, looking back at her. "Just stop." I tell her. "I know you guys say I'm your family and you treat me like it, but that's not going to change the fact that I am and always will be an orphan. When are one of you guys gonna step up and adopt me?"