Chapter 3

Patients at Brook County Hospital each had their own tiny room. After Avery and I had walked down several halls (and gotten past several restricted clearance doors), we arrived at mine. It was about the size of a large bathroom, with only a small bed in one corner and a small dresser in another. The walls were a neutral white, and everything else was bare. We walked through the door, which had a capital letter 'V' on the left of the frame and a small square window in the center, and Avery set my things down.

"Your new garments are on the bed. As part of the check-in process, we'll need you to remove any piercings you have and gather your belongings so we can process them. Most of your things will be taken, put in a lock-box, and placed in our safe storage room until you check out. Now, I'll give you a minute to change into those scrubs and then we'll begin the screening." His low voice was monotonous as he stared at my bed. Without another word, he turned around and walked out the door. Stunned, I turned around to look at my close quarters. Sure enough, lying on the bed were five pairs of sea foam green scrub tops and bottoms, all with the letters BCH embroidered on the top left corner of the garment. I turned my head to see if anyone was peeking through the window, but it was clear. Quicker than one would think me capable of, I shed my coat and sweater and pulled on a long-sleeved top. I folded them and repeated the process with my leggings, then started taking my earrings out. After the fourth one, there was a soft knock on my door and in walked Avery. I didn't even spare him a passing glance as he came and stood behind me. Several earrings later, they were all out and my ears were naked. Avery raised his eyebrows as I wordlessly dropped all seven of them into a metal tin in his outstretched hand. He then set it aside on the dresser.

"Now, if you could empty your bags, and we'll get on with the tour."

I did as he said and began unzipping both my travel bags. As I pulled out a few pictures of me with Andrew and Jennifer, I couldn't help but think of all I'd left behind. I was always so happy with them both, even after Andrew and I were separated. Jennifer, my long time friend since grade school, helped take my mind off my missing other half. We were in our last year of high school and were excited to get on with our lives. I, of course, had no clue what I wanted to do, but Jennifer had plans.

        I thought of that fateful night a week ago as I pulled a small friendship necklace from my bag. Some of the gifts I had bought were for Jennifer, and now I wasn't sure when I'd be able to give them to her. Anger and disgust rose up in me like a great wave as I recalled the picture that had plagued my thoughts for the past seven days. I had no clue what that woman was doing walking at that hour and in such weather, but she was wearing a bright red down jacket, black sweat pants, snow boots, and a sweat band over her blonde hair. The feathers from her coat were strewn everywhere, some stained red like the snow, as her colorless face stared at me in wide-eyed, open-mouthed shock. When I dropped my bags, several blood-stained figures turned away from her and focused on me. The last thing I remembered were those hideous creatures advancing in my direction.

        Avery coughed politely as I set the last of my things on the bed. There were two neat plies, one that contained all my bathroom stuff and the other my nostalgic stuff. He wasted no time in tearing these apart. After a minute had passed, a new pile was created; Belongings I was not allowed to keep. Avery quickly put my pictures, pens, jewelry, shaving razor, hair dryer and other seemingly random items in a large box.

"Sorry kiddo, but all of these are either potential health hazards or items that you don’t need during your stay. Everything goes into the safe room so there's no risk of anybody getting hurt."

I could feel my cheeks flush red as more anger welled up in me. First of all, where did he get off calling me 'kiddo'? His smooth, flawless face didn't look much older than me, maybe twenty-seven at the very max. And secondly, he was taking the framed pictures I had of Andrew and Jennifer. Avery must have seen the storm brewing, because he turned to the door, hiding the box from my view.