Chapter VI

•-• Back to Mr. Peppermint POV •-•

I opened the door to my dorm and I was expecting to find Midoryia passed out in his room, but found him on the island counter instead. He was sleeping soundly, his head buried in his arms and his hand holding his gold pencil. He looked peaceful, but I didn't want him to wake up with an ache in his back.

I gently lay my hand on his upper back and shook him. He stirred, but he didn't wake up. After that, I decided to move him myself.

I pushed his torso back, making him lean his weight on my other arm. I then awkwardly slide my hand under the crevice of his knees and I picked him up, a little heavier than I expected, but not enough for me to drop him.

I walked over into his room a I carefully laid him on his back on the messy bed. I pulled a free blanket over him and tucked him in. As I was about to pull away, my eyes landed on his face.

It was one of the most cutest things he'd ever seen.

I slowly sat on his bed, careful not to make too much movement, and I traced his skin with my eyes. There was a scar on his cheek and another one near his temple on the other side. Freckles sprinkled over his nose and dotted under his eyes. His hair was fluffy and a curly mess and his unusual black lashes were more noticeable when they're closed. His dry, chapped lips were parted slightly and showed his almost pearly white teeth. He was beyond gorgeous. The nervousness he usually had was forgotten and replaced with the peaceful stature.

My hand moved on its own and I found it in his fluffy soft hair. I never wanted to let go but, he stirred once again, making me freeze. He turned on his side facing me. He snuggled into his blanket and curled up his knees like a cat would. I slowly removed my hand and stood up. I wanted to cuddle up next to him, but that felt kinda wrong. We're roommates and best friends, he wouldn't see me like that.

I exhaled a sigh and left to my room, and got dressed in my pajamas. I flopped on my mattress and decided to go over every detail of today to keep my mind off Midoryia. But all that filled my mind was Midoryia. His soft smile, his cute eyes and his messy hair filled up my mind. I want that short boy to never leave my side. I trust him and a crazy idea suddenly came to mind.

'Should I show him my scar? My left side so I don't have to hide it anymore?' I shook my head. 'No, I don't want anybody to see that. To know about it. That would make going to this college useless. I came here to escape my father, not be reminded of him.'

As I became lost in thought, I brushed my bangs out of my face. Closing my eyes to listen in on the sound of the crickets outside. I retorted the debate to show my scar to him away from my mind after I decided against it. I felt a cool breeze come across my face and it's felt nice. I was too tired to try and fix it and I faced the wall while burying my face in the pillow. My eyelids became heavy and I quickly fell into a deep sleep.

•-•-•-•-•

I woke up to a shaking sensation.

     "Todoroki wake up! We're gonna be late!" Midoryia exclaimed in my ear. I hissed and brought a hand to cover it.

     "I still wanna be able to hear what I'm playing, if you don't mind," I snapped sitting up. I yawned and rubbed the sleepiness from my eyes. Midoryia was oddly quiet and it made me wonder if I'd hurt his feelings. I looked at him and he was staring back at me with shock. "Are you okay Midoryia? Are you sick?" I ask and he just stared blankly at me. He reached up and cupped my face. The left side of my face. Once the callouses of his hand met my bare cheek, my eyes widened as I suddenly understood.

     "What happened... to your eye..." he whispered. I was frozen. I couldn't believe how careless I was. I decided against it last night but I messed up and revealed the one thing I wanted anything more than to just disappear. The one thing I was so insecure about.

     I slapped his hand away and made a break for the bathroom in the next room. I slammed the door, suddenly feeling sick in my stomach. I heard a faint knocking on the wood as I hunched over the toilet.

     "Are you alright?! Todoroki! Please open the door... I'm sorry, I didn't mean too..." I heard sniffling, I was the reason that made the sweetest person I've ever met cry.

     I threw up air and bile since I haven't eaten anything since yesterday night, well, haven't ate much of anything the past few days. I don't have that eating disorder problem, it's more like I forgot to eat.

     "Todoroki, are you okay? Why are you coughing?" Midoryia exclaimed. I pulled myself together and wiped my mouth with my sleeve, which probably wasn't the best for sanitary purposes but I didn't care.

     "I'm fine... just got a little sick to my stomach..." I say weakly.

     "Do—Do you want me to tell the teachers you're sick?" this polite boy asked through the door. I thought to myself, 'I guess I can take a little break from school... It won't hurt anything, right?'

     "Y-Yeah... I guess it would be for the better," I told him.

     "Can..Can you open the door now? Please?" He asked that so softly I could barely hear it through the muffle of the door. He already saw it so... it'll be pointless trying to hide it now.

     I pulled myself up and looked at myself in the mirror. "Wait a moment if you would," I requested. Then I heard shuffling and then the squeaking of the coils, he must've sat down. I threw water on my face and instinctively brushed my hair over my eye, but I tucked it behind my ear, preparing for questions he might throw my way, the reaction on his face when he'll get a full view of it. This nasty scar.

     I hesitantly unlocked and slowly opened the door. I saw him perk up, his eyes widening when he sees me. I walk out into the room, leaving the door open in case I have to run back in there. I keep my eyes glued to the ground, scratching my arm relentlessly with my fingernails.

     "So now you know," I say quietly.

     "Know what?" Midoryia asks dumbly. I'm tempted to roll my eyes but I don't wanna set him off. I might be his roommate and best friend (for the time being), but that doesn't mean he's not capable of gossip. Everyone is.

     "My biggest secret. My insecurity," I answered so weakly, I surprised myself.

     "People have always wondered what was under that part of your hair. There were so many rumors about it on the internet. I thought it'd be a deformity or another eye color, or even a tiny scar but... I didn't imagine that this was what you were hiding," he said bluntly, which made me squirm a little and it made me back up on instinct.

     "I've already known people were curious but... that's just too many assumptions," I say nervously, bringing my hand up to cover my face. A deep frown settled into my features as I looked at my feet. I was so focused in my own thoughts I was startled when my hand was suddenly yanked away. Midoryia was staring me in the eye, a serious but soft expression painting his face... almost like a pout. I look away, embarrassed. I just want to curl up into a ball and die. I hate this feeling, but I felt the need to say something.

     "I know... it's really... ugly, is it? It disgusts me too-"

     "There's nothing wrong with it, in my opinion."

     Silence filled the room as my gaze snapped to him. Disbelief washed over me as I stared at his face. He was smiling. It was a small one but it was still there. I thought my brain was playing tricks on me so I asked:

     "W-What...? Did you...?"

     "In fact, I think it's quite charming, if I must say!"

________________________________

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It melted my heart writing this because it was so didily darn ADORABLE.

Published June 26 2019
Edited December 12 2022