Chapter 47: Her hunch

Start from the beginning

“Sure. When we get closer.” I chuckled.

“Then tomorrow lunch, let’s eat together in uncle's office.” Sabi niya habang nakatitig padin sa‘kin. She looks determined so how can I say no?

“Only if you cook and let me bring some home.” Biro ko na hindi ko inaasahang seseryosohin niya.

“Sure. You better keep your words.”

As the day turned into evening, we wrapped up our work, a sense of accomplishment mingling with the growing connection between us.

“I look forward for tomorrow.” My last words before we parted ways.

K I N A B U K A S A N

┍━━━━━━━☆━━━━━━━┑
PRINCESS’s POV
┕━━━━━━━⋯━━━━━━━┙

After thinking a lot last night, I've made up my mind to let Ace know today about what I discovered about him. It felt strange for me to act like I don't know anything and treat him as I did before.

I feel like I owe him an apology too. He lost his beloved and brother-like cousin because of me. Hindi na ako magtataka if he hold grudges against me. I’ll take it and I’m willing to make up for it.

“I can’t believe you’d put so much effort to prepare lunch for Ace.” Uncle commented as I put the last plate of dish I made on the table.

I made crab rangoon, smash burger tacos, and cheesy garlic bread for appetizer and grilled salmon fillets with wasabi and lemon cream sauce, pesto pasta with chicken, and shrimp scampi as main course. No rice ‘cause I know he grew up in Western country too.

“You know that he’s Angelo’s cousin, right?” I asked that made him choke from the tacos he’s eating.

Agad siyang kumuha ng tubig at uminom habang minamasahe pababa ang dibdib niya. Nang ma-okay na siya ay binalingan niya ako ng tingin.

“Is he, really? Kaya ba ginagawa mo ‘to? ‘Cause you feel like owing him for Angelo’s death?” Sunod sunod niyang tanong and he’s annoyingly right.

“Get your food and get out of here, eat on your table. Just tell Ace that I’m here when he arrives.”

Marahan ko siyang itinulak palabas at isinara ang pinto. “You’re playing favorites, sweetie. That’s unfair!” Natatawa niya pang reklamo na hindi ko na pinansin.

I’m in his office’s kitchen right now—Dean’s office of HU. Ace messaged me that he’s already on his way here. Naupo na ako sa table at naunang kumain ng appetizer.

Ilang minuto lang ay bumukas ang pinto. It was uncle at nasa likod niya si Ace na naka face mask padin.

“Enjoy your lunch.” Sabi niya ng maka pasok si Ace. Isinarado niya ang pinto.

“You’re already eating without me? No fair.” Ace chuckled and sat across the table.

His eyes scanned all the foods prepared on the table as he took off his mask. Napatigil ako mula sa pag nguya at napatitig sa kanya.

Now I could tell that he’s indeed Angelo’s cousin. Magkahawig sila. Parehong head turner.

“I know I’m good looking but don’t stare.” Biro niya tsaka tinikman ang crab rangoon. Even the way they try food is the same, aamuyin muna bago tikman.

“Hmm.. these are delicious. You really have talent in everything.” He complimented. “Please stop staring already and let's start eating.”

He was being shy and awkward again. Guess I’m with this side of him right now. Though it’s a normal reaction of a person being stared at intently.

We started eating and I was stealing glances the whole time. Ngayon ko lang napansin na maging sa galaw ay halos magkapareho sila. If I didn't really know Angelo I would think that he was him.

“Ace Jared Ayalde, let's have lunch together from now on.” I spoke up na kamuntikan na niyang ikasamid. Napatitig siya sa’kin na tila ba hindi maka paniwala.

I dunno which surprised him more, hearing his full name or the other thing. Probably both.

“I already know who you are. Alam ko rin na pinsan ka ni Angelo. If you're treating me kindly with an ulterior motive because you hold grudges against me for Angelo’s death then I understand.

But you’re still an unofficial member of Shadow Reapers and you know what that means.”

Itinaas niya ang magkabila niyang kamay sa ere, “My life belongs to you, your highness.” may ngiti sa labing saad niya.

Damn! Even the smile.. iniiwas ko ang tingin ko dahil baka hindi ko mapigilan at mayakap ko siya dahil sa pangungulila ko kay Angelo.

“And I don't hold grudges against you, I know how much my brother loves you and it's natural to protect the person you love at all cost by all means. That's what I learned from him.” He said as he gave me a sincere smile. “And I love everyone he loves.”

“And I trust who he trusts too so I’ll let you in on a secret.” I heaved a sigh. “I bet you know I was here to investigate about my decoy and thinks that it’s not necessary since I could just ask for her information.”

Muli akong bumuntong hininga ng malalim dahil sa ipagtatapat ko.

“But information can be forged. Dad could easily do that. What I’m actually curious about was if she’s my dad illegitimate child. Not just her but Sky too. I suddenly thought about why Mom didn't like Dad and seemed to forget that Sky was her son when she was really sick. It's strange that she would get very hysterical only when she saw them. And perfectly remembers me as her daughter, even talking about the pain of giving birth to me.

I’ve been wondering too why grandpa treat Sky coldly and doesn't seem to acknowledge him as his grandchild. A complete opposite of how he treats me.”

Ace was undeniably dumbfounded. Naka maang lang siya at papalit palit ang reaksyon ng mukha niya na tila ba hindi alam kung ano ang dapat niyang maging reaksyon.

“W-what give you an idea that you came up with that thought?”

“When dad told me that she’ll introduce her as his heiress. And grandpa doesn't even know about it.” I confessed once again tsaka nag patuloy sa pagkain.

Hindi na siya nakaimik pa marahil ay hindi rin niya alam kung anong sasabihin niya. Hanggang sa matapos kami kumain.

“So what's your plan?” Tanong niya habang nililigpit ang mga pinagkainan namin.

“DNA. Before I left Canada, I got samples from my mom and grandparents and had them tested here. The results came out and we all matched.”

“And how could you get your decoy’s sample? If you directly asked her for it your dad will find out.” He sounds worried. “And what about Sky’s?”

“He’ll be here soon for the ranking match. We could just dine together with uncle and everyone and I’ll ask someone to collect our used utensils.”

He heaved a sigh. “If that’s what will give you a peace of mind. Sabihin mo lang kung anong maitutulong ko.”

I nodded. I’m glad he’s an ally.

“But if your suspicion turns out to be correct, what would you do? How would things be different?” Tanong niya na hindi ko nasagot.

If my hunch was right, what would be the best action to take? How should I respond and handle the situation?

How would things change?