Chapter 39 Overhead conversation

┍━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━┑
THIRDS PERSON's POV
┕━━━━━━━⋯━━━━━━━┙

"You've grown colder." Words that welcomed Princess. It was her dad who said it.

He was expecting that Princess changed, that King and his friends melted her cold attitude and will finally see the warm side of his daughter. But, a colder treatment was what he received instead.

She arrived yesterday but didn't bother to visit him in his office. He wasn't even informed that she's coming home.  And now, if he didn't personally ask her to dine with him, she wouldn't.

"Did I perhaps done something that offended you, sweetie?" He asked.

Princess stared at him like she usually does when being asked. Like she's thinking if she would answer or not.

"No."  She replied and continued eating.

"Then what's with the cold treatment?" He asked again but didn't receive an answer.

"Sweetie?"

"So you become talkative, I see." She said that made her dad shut.

He was speechless because he was informed that her cold daughter becomes approachable, friendly, and talkative. He was glad hearing it and was looking forward seeing her again. But..

"Was it all just an act after all?"

"What do you mean?"

He was taken aback upon realizing that he was thinking aloud.

He faked a cough.

"I thought those guys somehow change you. I was expecting to see the happy go lucky side of yours again." He said.

Princess just scoffed and didn't say anything afterwards. Her dad couldn't even guess what she's thinking.

And then a realization came to his mind, "I failed." He murmured.

»»

"So he really wants to see how I'll change after meeting them, huh?" Princess whispered when she got back to her room.

And then what?

The next day, Princess haven't seen her dad the whole day. She thought she had gone far from treating her dad coldly so she decided to see him in his office.

But he wasn't there.

"He's in his private library." Thea, her personal maid, informed her. 

She thanked her and then hasten to the said place.

Only to overhear something that made her froze.

Are you crazy? Do you want me to get killed when her grandpa find out that I told her she's adopted?

Not yet.

Yeah. But I don't know how.

Right. I just have to tell her that.

Her dad is on the phone and haven't noticed her arrival.

"Tell whom what?" Princess spoke up to get his attention.

He was startled by her sudden appearance and ended the call right away.

"S-sweetie!" He stuttered. “G-good thing you're here. I have something to tell you.”

Princess’ stares made him nervous.

“I was about to tell you about Varlet—”

"I'm Varlet." Princess interrupted. She was eyeing her dad suspiciously.

“Y-yes, of course. You're Princess Varlet Hutchinson, my precious daughter.” He chuckled nervously and mentally scolded himself for suddenly acting awkward.

“Pull yourself together, dad.” Said Princess that took him back to his senses.

"Right, what's there to be nervous about?" He told himself and faked a cough.

"Have a seat, sweetie. This might take long." Ani‘ya na agad namang sinunod ni Princess.

And thus he started to tell her everything. That an information leaked about the Hutchison's heiress being in the Philippines and some underground rivals start to move.

“They start suspecting that V of HU main is the hidden Hutchison's heiress. And now they're certain that you're indeed the heiress.”

Princess remained quiet with her straight face. That made her dad sigh in defeat. She becomes more difficult to read.

“So to fool them I sent a decoy. I have to officially introduce her as the Hutchison's heiress for your safety.”

"I understand." Princess simply said after a moment of silence.

James sighed in relief pero napawi rin 'yon agad dahil sa susunod na sinabi ni Princess.

"I'll be moving to Canada."

Canada is where her sick mom and grandparents living. Their estate is the only place James and Sky couldn't get to. They're ban from going there.

"No, I should say I'm moving back to Canada." Pagtatama niya sa sinabi niya bago tumayo.

"S-sweetie, no. Your brother and I can't ever see you too if you do that. You know your grandpa ban us there."

"But my safety was certain there. I miss mom too." She reasoned out.

For some reason, it made her dad think that he shouldn't have decided to get a decoy and told her that he'll be introducing her as his heiress.

“But you're safe here too. You don't have to—”

“Hiring a decoy means you're not confident that you can secure my safety if I was found out.” She coldly replied.

"I made a mistake, sweetie. I'll—"

“Really, till when you're planning to keep my identity a secret? It's suffocating.” Her sharp knives-like  words that pierced through her dad's heart.

And then she left, leaving him guilty and dumbfounded.

suffocating...

"I f-cking messed up." He uttered.

He's repenting.

He repented for hours not knowing that his beloved daughter went straight to airport after their conversation and flew to Canada.