Southern Rebels

Everything was blurry but I had been living in the palace long enough to find my way to Maxon's office. As soon as I reached the towering I yanked the open and stumbled inside. A guard caught me as I fell and Maxon turned from he screen he was looking at. He quickly pulled me into his arms and held me up asking, "America, are you all right?" I looked at the screens. Maps of New Asia splashed in all sorts of colors covered an entire wall. I felt as though I was going to throw up.

I look up into Maxon's face and asked, "Why didn't you tell me?" I had regained my balance by then, but was still leaning into his arms for support.

"Tell you what?" He said as though New Asia being under attack wasn't a big deal.

"That," I say gesturing to the screens. Maxon's face loses it's color and I can tell he is trying to find a way to explain all of this with minimum damage.

"America, dear, I didn't want to tell you because with the news of the baby and all, I didn't want you to have to worry about anything other than that." Oh, he was definitely not getting out this one.

"NOT TELL ME?!" I screeched. "We are supposed to tell each other things, lean on each other, especially when NEW ASIA IS UNDER ATTACK?!" I take a few deep breaths, I'm sure all of this stress was not good for the baby. We were alone in the room now, the guards and advisors had evacuated the scene already, I'm sure my hair was redder than normal and could tell I was furious before I even took a breath.

Maxon ran his fingers through his hair and began his apology, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, okay? Just with everything going on I didn't want to pile anything more on top of you, especially when the Southern Rebels-." One step too far.

"What about the Southern Rebels?" I say through gritted teeth.

"There has been word that the Southern Rebels are reforming, growing, again."

"That's not possible, we are destroying the caste system, what more do they want?"

"Apparently, a lot. They want Illėa to be destroyed and rebuilt in a way that only they will ever have power. It's going to take them years to reach the numbers they had before but, America, they want to kill us and our family."