Tactics

*Home (the last part) was a bridge to this part which picks up a few months later after America and her family left the palace for a safe house. America delivered her babies, twins named Eadlyn and Ahren (again, following with the canon version) and the rebels have begun to call for Maxon to return home so he may give over his kingdom to the rebels.*

It was horrible watching what the rebels were doing and not being able to do a thing. The death toll was climbing every day, the new count at just over 3,000. The worst toll has been on Maxon, who has wanted to return home so he could end all of the violence. I'm afraid he just might.

"I can't just sit here and do nothing," Maxon said. We were sitting in his temporary office watching the report. On the screen were images of burning houses, military patrolling the streets, and the most popular of them all, our home, the palace, vandalized and decorated with the rebel flag.

If only I could turn back time to when the worst we had to worry about was The Selection. I take his hand in mine. "I know you want to do something, but what? We can't leave Eadlyn and Ahren."

"I know."

I looked at the clock and seeing that it was a very late hour I decided to go to bed. When I asked Maxon if he would come up too, he shrugged and kept his face glued to the television.

Climbing the stairs, I heard a baby crying and saw a maid rushing to go answer it. "Wait," I call out to her, "I'll take care of it." She bowed politely and left.

I slowly opened the door and saw Eadlyn bawling her eyes out. As the future queen, she sure liked to make a fuss. I took her out of her crib and went to a rocking chair where I fed her and rocked her to sleep. It was when I was looking at her tiny, beautiful face that I heard the door open and close. I looked up to see Maxon.

He was wearing different clothes than before and not the mind for sleeping in. "Why are you dressed like that?" I whispered.

"Emergency tactics meeting."

"Should I come?" I asked. Normally I attend meetings because I feel it's a queens duty to be by her husbands side; and also make sure I get my two-cents in, too.

"No, just take care of the children, okay?" he came over to kiss me and his daughter. "It is going to be okay." I nod and watch as he leaves the room.

I return Eadlyn to her crib and make my way to bed, also. When I woke up the following morning what I saw on the report shattered my heart into a thousand pieces.