C H A P T E R 32

Chapter 32: Painstaking Process

══════

   "So who is this guy?" Tony asked Steve in a hushed voice.

   The dirty blonde in front of them wheeled himself down the hallway with a nurse on his left, directing him to the room I occupied.

   "She says his name is Cooper, Cooper Wadfield. He is a history teacher for a University in Wyoming."

   "How the hell did he end up on Emilio's radar?"

  "No clue," Steve spoke.

   "Do we trust this guy?" Tony questioned as they rounded the corner.

   "Sophia seems too." Steve stopped before clenching his jaw slightly, "Is Jarvis running a background check on him?"

   "You bet."

   "Great." Steve seconded.

   Cooper wheeled himself into my room and my face lit up. The nurses who were prepping me for surgery smiled kindly at him, and they exchanged pleasantries.

   "Well, you're all prepped so we'll come and grab you when you're done here, Doctor." The nurse explained as she took off her gloves.

   "Thank you, Emily," I spoke smoothly.

   The brunette nodded her head and she exited the room with the other nurse. Cooper sent me a shy smile before wheeling closer to my bed.

   "How ya been, pal?" His gruff voice gently scratched my ears.

   "I've been better." I offered, "I'm just happy to see you alive."

   "Yeah, well, so am I," Cooper smirked.

   A calmness washed over him and he sighed. Coop's eyes wandered around the room, letting a slow whistle out, "This place has it all." He marveled.

   "Eh— it could be better." I frowned sarcastically.

   "Maybe you're jaded Doc, but this is better than the shit hole we came from."

   "True, true."

   I tapped my finger against the thick plastic arm rails and watched home with curious eyes. I hadn't seen him in this much light before, other than our attempt to escape. He looked healthier now, still a bit banged up and bruised... But he seemed different. Relieved.

   An understanding had formed between us, a trust that still remained in the depths of his eyes. A long exhale left his lips as he slouched his shoulders.

   "We made it... and we managed to do it alive."

   "How are your wounds healing?"

   "Quicker than expected, so that's a good thing."

   He lifted his shirt slightly and showed me the large bandage that covered his stomach. I asked him if I could see more and he unpeeled the tape that kept it down. The sutured-up wound looked infection-free.

   "The incision is healing nicely... internal injuries?"

   His face squished to one side as he thought, "Yeah, uh, perforated bowel."

   I squinted my eyes and looked at the technique used, it wasn't sloppy I just could have done better. I leaned forward and half shrugged my shoulders.

   "I would have gone in laparoscopically— minimally invasive, less risk of post-op infection, less scaring... but that's just me."

   Cooper huffed in disbelief, "I don't mind the scaring... some girls likes scares."