C H A P T E R 11

Chapter 11: Care to Join Me?

══════

"I'd like a cheeseburger, medium, with cheddar cheese, ketchup, mayo, lettuce, and tomato."

"Wedge cut or curly fries?" Asked the blonde cashier.

"Curly please," Bobbi answered with an eager smile.

"And you?" She redirected, her fingers mindlessly punching in her order on the screen.

"I will have the same thing, minus mayo."

The lady told me the price and I paid for Bobbi and me, despite her protests. The blonde gave us a number and told us it'd be ready soon.

"I can't believe you still don't like mayo," Bobbi teased, her nose scrunching in disappointment.

I shook my head in discussing, "I can't deal with the consistency," I spoke with a grimace on my face.

"How are we still friends?" Bobbi joked.

"Cause yah love me," I answered in a sing-song tone, adding a kissy face to the mix.

She snorted, "Alright, settle down."

Our laughter subsided and I sunk into a nearby booth. Bobbi scorching in across from me. Her eyes scanned the restaurant, it was second nature to her at that point.

"Would you stop?" I winced, "You look suspicious."

Her head turned back to me, deadpanning.

"I've already evaluated all possible entrances and exits. There's the front door, the kitchen door, and the window in the restroom."

"Am I really that slow?" She chuckled.

I shrugged my shoulders, rubbing the tip of my nose with my knuckle nonchalantly, "I'm just that good."

She jerked her thumb towards the bathroom in the far corner, "How'd you spot the window in the restroom?" She asked quizzically.

"A lady opened the door wide enough for me to see." I casually brushed it off.

"Nice."

Tapping my fingers along the edge of the table, I watched as Bobbi's eyes trailed out the window. Her eyes squinted and she laughed, "Your face is literally on a billboard across the street."

I grimaced, burning my face in my hands. I dragged them down my cheeks and sighed, "Don't remind me."

"You never enjoyed that stuff."

"It's a pain."

"Worth it I imagine? Getting to do what you get to do."

"Yeah. I think I could do some real change here, Bob."

"I know you can," she proudly remarked. She smiled at me admirably before quirking her head to the side, "Between you and Daisy, I'm not sure who is getting more screen time."

My eyebrows raised, my smile dropping. Guilt crept into my chest and I groaned, "Everyone wants to know about, Quake."

Our conversation was paused when a waiter dropped two paper bags on our table. He retrieved the number and we exchanged a pleasant smile. There was a brief confusion that flashed in his eyes like he recognized me at that moment. Before he could say anything, I excused myself and whisked Bobbi away.

A block or two closer to the tower, we found ourselves on top of a nearby apartment building. We sat on the ledge, our legs dangling against the concrete lip.