17

The next day Ava was out on the boat with her team. She pulled on her wet suit and looked at George. "Ava, are you sure you're well enough?" he asked.

"Yes," she nodded. "Now zip me up!" She turned her back to George. He pulled the zip all the way to the top, however, his hands lingered on her waist for a moment perhaps too long, Ava sighed and gently brushed his hands away.

"Sorry," he said and handed her oxygen tank to her, Ava strapped it on grabbed her bag and dove into the water, her dolphins greeted her. She grabbed the fin of her favourite one and swam with them, they then spiralled down towards the shards which glittered in the sun from the surface. The dolphins continued to swim around them as Ava and her fellow scientists collected the shards.

They clicked and squeaked, the scientists were being gentle with the artifact. Mera watched from a distance, Ava unaware. They worked well into the afternoon, just as they were finishing a couple of sharks swam over them, both had Atlanteans on their backs. Ava and George had to swim into the coral below, the sharks continued to circle they were stranded. Both looked at their oxygen watches and realized they were running out of air.

They both exchanged glances, both looked panicked. Mera noticed and rushed over to them, she knew there was an air pocket that she could take them to. She grabbed them both by their arms and swam as quickly as she could to the air pocket. "You can remove your masks now," she said. Ava removed her first and laid back on the ground taking deep breaths, George then removed his mask too.

"You are both in treacherous land," Mera said.

"We want to help you and Arthur," George said and looked at Ava.

"Talking of which where is he?" Mera asked.

"I haven't seen him since we spent the night together," Ava replied, George looked away and rolled his eyes.

"We may need his help to get you both out of here alive and well." She said. "Will you two be okay here if I try to find him?" They both nodded. Mera left them alone.

"Why him?" George asked.

"Why who?" She quizzed him.

"Arthur. I've always been there for you and you don't see the person close to you. Those who care for you." he said.

"What are you talking about?" she asked a little confused.

"Don't play dumb with me, you know exactly what you're talking about," he replied.

"George I don't know if its the lack of oxygen but George I don't see you that way, I see you as nothing more than a friend." She explained. George dropped his head.

"Here I was hoping for more, I apologize Ava," he said. Suddenly Arthur and Mera return.

"Come Ava, we need to leave now." Arthur offered his hand down to her and helped her off the ground and they prepared to return to the surface.