13

Arthur retreated back to the lighthouse and saw his father. "Arthur where have you been!" he exclaimed rushing to his son as he stood in the hallway.

"Orm locked me up in one of his cells, I couldn't reach Ava," he paused. "Ava! How is she? Is she alive?" Arthur and his father sat down.

"Arthur, she's alive but in a terrible state." He paused. "You know the first thing she asked when she woke up, it was asking after you. She wanted to know where you were."

"What did you tell her?" he asked.

"We said we didn't know and it sent her into a panic,  but we managed to keep her calm," Tom said.

"I must see her." He demanded.

"We'll go straight to the hospital now," his father said and both rushed to the truck and headed to the hospital.

George still sat by Ava's side, she was sleeping once again George still had his head in his hands and was gazing over her. A few moments later and Arthur arrived with his father before he even reached her the sight made his eyes water.

"Ava," he whimpered as he got closer.

George looked up hearing his voice. "No, you don't talk to her and you don't come near her!" he snarled.

Arthur stopped and looked at George. "You don't tell me what I can and can't do." He growled, "now let me see Ava."

"No!" He growled and tried to push Arthur out of the way. Tom intervened.

"Go on George go home, you've been here all day and night," he said.

"You better take care of her while I'm gone." He snarled.

"I will." He said and watched George leave. Tom patted his son on the shoulder and then left him alone. Arthur sat in the chair next to her and gently took her hand and squeezed it, she opened her eyes slowly and they met Arthurs.

"A...Arthur?" she whispered it was clear she was still weak.

"Ava! Ava, I am so sorry." He gently kissed her hand and the tears began to dribble down his cheeks.

"It's okay," she said and rested a hand on his cheek, then took her hand away and rested it back on the bed, she snatched her other hand away. Arthur looked up at her he was surprised he expected a warmer welcome. "But Arthur whatever is going on between us is unhealthy, I've been hurt twice..." she began but he cut her off.

"Ava, you can't just walk away I need you, I am the only one you can trust and who can protect you," he said and attempted to take her hand but she wouldn't allow it. "Please, Ava I'm begging you."

"Arthur I don't think I can." She said, her voice beginning to break as tears threatened to stream from her eyes. "As soon as I'm better and can walk I'll give you the shard, I get on with my life and you get on with yours."

"I don't agree to this!" He snarled and stormed off his chair tipping back as he left, Ava just burst into tears and began to cry hysterically.