10.0 Brick by brick

You duck out of the way of the fist flying towards you before dropping to the floor

You duck out of the way of the fist flying towards you before dropping to the floor. Sweeping your leg around it comes into contact with your opponent's shins, knocking them to the ground. Standing up once more you wait for them to get up.

"You need to focus," you tell Murphy as he rolls over, pushing himself back onto his feet. "Think about what I'm going to do next, not what I'm doing right now."

Echo wasn't the only warrior on the ship, you and her were alike in many ways. Both of you were kidnapped by Azgeda and forced to become fighters. Although Echo was determined to move on from her past, you chose to capitalize on yours. Skaikru accepted you after your banishment, in trade you taught their soldiers how to fight, how to win against the grounders. Now you were training Murphy until he decided to join everyone again, Bellamy's orders.

"Again," you bark at him.

Lunging towards you Murphy grabs your arm twisting it behind your back and pressing you against the wall. With your free hand, you grab Murphy's shirt. It's enough of a distraction for you to push one of your legs between his and kick it out from under him.

"You keep getting me on the ground, trying to tell me something?" His smirk says it all. Murphy doesn't like feeling weak, so flirting is how he gains control.

As he goes to stand you kick his chest forcing him back to the floor. You drop to your knees next to him, throwing a leg around his waist you're now straddling him. Grabbing his wrists you place them above his head. He's trapped.

"Yeah, I'm trying to tell you," leaning down to whisper in his ear, "you suck at this," you say. Two can play at his game.

Suddenly he flips you so you're the one on the bottom now. "What was that about anticipating the next move?"

God, did that stupid smirk ever leave his face? Your knee meets his crotch in retaliation, catching him off guard. He rolls off of you, groaning and clutching his balls in pain. Men are so weak.

The entire reason you were doing this was to lift Murphy's spirits and get to the bottom of his isolation. Bellamy was convinced he was depressed and needed someone to talk to, and to his credit, you were pretty sure he was right. Every time you tried to talk to him about anything other than fighting he deflected you, changed the subject or made a flirty comment.

"That," he points at you, "was not okay."

"You had a weak spot, I found it," you sit up and shrug your shoulders at him.

"So, do you think I could've been an Azgeda warrior?" He rises to a sitting position so he's face to face with you, knees almost touching.

"Oh John Murphy, you wouldn't stand a chance," you tilt your head at him, tone as condescending as they come.

"I think I held my own against you," he leans in, eyes glinting with mischief. It's a look you haven't seen on his face in a long time, for a moment it takes your breath away.

"Yeah, when I was holding back," you rise from the ground holding a hand out to him, he grasps it and you pull him up to you.

"You keep telling yourself that," he bumps you with his shoulder. You look over at him, no matter how hard Murphy tried to hide what he was feeling you could always see through him. It came with being a spy. Right now he was trying to hide a sadness, one that had been within him for a long, long time.

"I'll tell myself that for as long as you tell yourself you're okay," the gleam in his eyes leaves when your words register. He really thought he had fooled you, made you think he was okay when he's so obviously not. You didn't need to be a mind reader to know he felt alone and unneeded.

"Murphy, you know we all care about you, right? We're all scared too, I've never seen anything but the ground, being in this metal death trap we call a home terrifies me," your hand automatically finds his arm rubbing soothing circles into him.

"I'm not scared," he shakes your hand off of him, "I just-"

He cuts himself off, keeping everything concealed like he's done his whole life.

"Don't feel needed," you supply him with the words he was looking for. A sigh leaves his lips. "I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like that, it wasn't my intention. I know what it feels like to be unwanted. I never want you to feel like that."

"It's not you Y/N, you've always been there for me," he looks you in the eyes when he says that.

Truth be told you two had been there for each other. You met him in Arkadia before John had joined Jaha on his journey. He and you were... dating you guess? You had never really had a lover, let alone a boyfriend, before, warriors weren't allowed to enjoy frivolous pleasures of the skin. Instead, they were to be dedicated to defending the throne. Being with Skaikru was the first time you finally felt free. And being with John was the first time you finally felt heard.

He felt the same way, no one had given a damn before you. But then he met Emori. You couldn't blame him for falling for her, she was gorgeous and misunderstood- just like him. But now, it was just you two here like how it used to be, how it was supposed to be. Emori had kicked him out, she knew what was wrong just not how to help him; this was a problem she couldn't relate to.

"And I will always be here," you grab his hand in yours. "Murphy, I want to talk to you, to know what you feel. What's happened to you since the last time we actually got to talk?"

"A lot has changed," he only says three words but they reveal defeated he is. He turns back to you, you can see his walls coming down in front of you, brick by brick. Murphy is broken, but you're determined to help him put himself back together again.

"So tell me all about it," you ask of him.

And that's what he does. You both go back to your room and he divulges everything that's happened to him. He puts the darkest parts of him on a platter, there for the taking. You devour them. In turn you display your own demons, the ones that have followed you since your childhood. The night ends with the two of you passed out in your bed, as you slept you gravitated towards each other, when you awaken in the morning you're clutching one another.