3.0 A New Friend

"Hey, Bellamy, is that group back from the hunting trip yet?" You hear one of the delinquents ask

"Hey, Bellamy, is that group back from the hunting trip yet?" You hear one of the delinquents ask. You already know the answer. No, they're not. If they were, your best friend Alex would have already run up to you to tell you all about the adventures he had while venturing past the almost finished walls.

You'd been friends with him since you were both children on the ark. The two of you had been neighbors. It's always been hard for you to talk to people and put yourself out there, but with Alex everything just seemed to naturally flow between the two of you. Alex was great at making conversation, but could also enjoy the silence you two shared when you just didn't know what to say. He understood how hard it could be for you to talk sometimes. At one point your social inefficiency worried your parents so much they took you to see Dr. Griffin. She came to the conclusion you had social anxiety. She wanted to give you medication, but couldn't due to the fact that it wasn't a life threatening disease. You would just have to deal with it.

So that's how your life proceeded on the Ark. You kept to yourself during the day at class, but when you got back to your room you finally came out of your shell around Alex. He was, and still is, your anchor. Everybody thought you were weird, treated you like an outcast really, because of how difficult it was to talk to them. You have no idea how you would have gotten through everything life has thrown at you without him. He's been there for you through it all-- your mom getting sick, you getting arrested after you tried to steal medicine for her, her dying, and he even got himself arrested so you wouldn't be in the Sky Box by yourself.

Then it all seems to come crashing down around you, as you stop reminiscing. They weren't back yet. They'd been gone since morning, and right now the sun was on the verge of setting. This wasn't good. Something must have went wrong, but what? Did they get lost in unknown territory by accident? Did grounders attack them? Your mind was racing, heart beating so fast you thought it was going to burst out of your chest.

You leave your job of sorting food, walking toward the drop ship. Once you're inside you find a corner, and proceed to let the panic attack you're having consume you. Your back is pressed against the wall, knees drawn to your chest, and arms hugging yourself as tight as you can. Deep breaths in and out, you think. That's what Alex would always tell you when you got like this. It was no use, everything seemed to be spiraling out of control in your head. Tears started to roll down your cheeks, oh god, what would you do without him? He's been your only friend for years, the only person who knew that you could be loud, funny, and even sarcastic. There's something, or someone, making noise but you can't focus on it. You feel yourself floating, no longer having your anchor to tie you down. Suddenly, a hand was on your shoulder.

Murphy's voice wafts through the air into your
ears, "Are you okay?"

That was weird. Murphy never gave a shit how other people were feeling. He was always yelling at people to get back to work, no matter what injury or illness they had acquired. For a second you wonder if you should say yes, but then he's going to make you go back to work and you can't in the condition you're in. You shake your head side to side signaling no.