Chapter 15: The Wedding

September 24, 2013

The chapel was huge, as was the price to rent it out for their wedding. The Yankees didn’t win the playoffs, but they did play a hell of a game. But not even the disappointment of losing could get him down.

On this day, Josh was standing at the front of the church waiting for the love of his life to walk in and pledge her life to him.

His family had a record of crazy weddings, his parents’ was pretty crazy, Kathy had to deal with a crying baby in the pews; Jon didn’t have a wedding, really, getting married the boring way in the court house and James topped them all with the fist fight with Laura’s ex-husband and Kathy’s water breaking.

Josh wanted a nice, normal wedding; he’s had enough drama for the rest of his life.

He made sure that he invited Roxy to the wedding and sat her in between two of his teammates. They were both big, good-looking guys, if she wasn’t too busy trying to get into their pants, she wouldn’t be able to stop the wedding because they knew if she did they were to hold her down and keep her quiet.

Josh actually had his namesake as his ring bearer. He made it a point to get involved in the kid’s life; in case Roxy started to slip back into her old ways, little Josh, or LJ as he’d been started to be called, would have someone to contact.

He saw shadows beneath the door as his groomsmen and bridesmaids were ready to walk in.

Seeing his siblings and their significant others walk down that aisle pleased Josh because he knew that Jenna was only a few steps behind them.

His hands were shaking as all kinds of doubts ran through his mind. Was he ready to commit himself to one woman? Would he be enough for Jenna? Could he make her happy?

Josh had admitted to himself a long time ago that Jenna was out of his league, and that’s saying something since Josh was the shit.

Josh actually started to shuffle his feet as the wedding march started. Trenton spotted his son looking like a priest in a whorehouse. He managed to get Josh’s attention and gave him a fatherly look.

That last thing they needed is for Josh to leave Jenna at the altar. As much as they loved each other, Trenton didn’t think that Jenna would forgive Josh until the child she was carrying was Trent’s age.

Trenton knew all about wedding jitters, he was a lot like Josh when he was a young man, all Josh needed to do was set eyes on Jenna and all would be right in the world.

Josh felt as if he were about to melt in his tux. It suddenly felt too tight, he felt like he couldn’t breathe, that’s when his loving best man gave him a hard knock on the back, forcing Josh pull some air into his lungs.

“Thanks,” Josh said quietly over to Jon. The veteran nodded and turned back to the entrance of the church. No one noticed what just happened because they were all too caught up in Jenna’s beauty.

Her hair shone as she walked by the open windows, allowing the sunlight to hit her. The room seemed to light up as she sauntered down the aisle as if she owned it.

Her eyes were focused on Josh and Josh felt like kicking himself.

How could he have ever thought of running out of here and leaving that beautiful creature alone at the altar? All his doubts melted away when she smiled at him, she was the woman of his drams, she was carrying the child they made in love – come hell or high water, he wasn’t moving until this woman had his last name!

Jenna finally reached Josh in what was the longest, yet shortest, walk of her life. She grabbed his sweaty palms and was relieved that Josh was just as nervous as she was.

He gave her a shaky smile and she wanted to laugh. She’d never seen Josh this unsure in their whole relationship; even when she asked him to get her a box of tampons; he handled it cooler than any straight man ever could.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join Jenna Love and Josh McTerry in holy matrimony. Before we begin, this is there anyone here that objects to this couple? If you do, speak now or forever hold your peace,” the pastor said.

Josh looked pointedly to Roxy and she took a deep breath, as if she were to say something. Josh swore to all that was holy, if she said something he would be in jail for her murder.

But the breath she gathered was only to release a huge sneeze, then there where the sprinklings of ‘bless you’ from the congregation.

Jenna let out a relieved breath as she grinned back up at Josh as the pastor continued. Josh and Jenna said their vows to one another, professing their love despite the fact that their relationship was only a couple of years.

“Do you, Jenna Love, take Josh McTerry to be your lawfully wedded husband, through sickness and health, ‘till death do you part?” asked the pastor.

“I do,” Jenna said with a huge smile.

“And do you, Josh McTerry, take Jenna Love to be your lawfully wedded wife, through sickness and health, do death do you part?”

“I do,” Josh replied.

“By the power within me, and by the state of Texas, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride.”

Josh couldn’t believe it as he scooped up Jenna and gave her a smooch that was worthy of a 10.0. His wedding had gone off without a hitch and all that was left was to take her to the reception and then he’d have her for the rest of his life.

No one could blame a man as he carried Jenna out, she laughing and going along with it; they didn’t call it ‘bridal-style’ for nothing.

“I love you,” Josh whispered to her, as he placed her in the limo that read the traditional, ‘Just Married’.

Jenna smiled, “I don’t know why, but I love you too; even though you’re an arrogant jerk.”

“That just adds to my charm.”