First Day On the Job

Anna sat down in one of the chairs in her aunts office. It was messier than she expected it to be, nevertheless, she was glad to be in it. Glad to be safe after she had almost been killed on a mission, which apparently was what they would be discussing. She, along with a team of resistance fighters, had been given a mission to get some information from a source in the outer rim, but the First Order had gotten there faster. Soon after they had landed, the Knights of Ren had attacked, killing the woman that had claimed to have clues to the whereabouts of Luke and leaving the team to run for their lives to get back to their ships. Anna continued to look around the room at the artifacts that littered it. On the desk she saw her one of a kind lightsaber in its belt. She jerked her head back up when she heard Leia walk in and take a seat behind the cluttered desk.

She sighed and said," Anna we need to talk,"
"What you did on that mission was so irresponsible, and that woman paid the price for your poor decision making. What were you thinking throwing a grenade at the Knights? You deliberately disobeyed your orders, you aren't in charge sweetheart. "

"The grenade didn't kill her, one of the Knights ripped her to shreds with their lightsaber. I was just trying to help, there wasn't any way to prevent it without being killed or-"
Leia put her hand up to silence her.

"There is no excuse for this, and I have made a decision. You will no longer be participating in missions, flying or ground work. Luke would never forgive me if I let something happen to you."

Anna blinked in disbelief, she couldn't believe what she was hearing
"So you're telling me, that I can never fly MY ship ever again? And that I can't help try to find MY father that's missing? What do you want me to do? I'm not just going to sit here and be useless, I want to do something!"

Leia stared at her niece, she was so much like her mother. "You're too much like your mother... I guess I could allow you to work in the technician and maintenance department. On one condition: you follow orders on any future missions you go on. Deal?"

"Deal... but what about my lightsaber?"

"I want it kept in your room, you shouldn't have a use for it while you're at the base. I don't want any "accidents" happening with it again."

Anna blushed when her aunt mentioned the reason she had a prosthetic, she wasn't aware her aunt knew about the lie.

" Yes, I know the truth. Don't worry about it. You also need to get that checked out at the infirmary, we need to make sure it's still functioning properly. I don't want you getting any infections."

"Yes ma'am?"

" Just make sure you take care of yourself."

-------------

"...She banned me, Poe! She BANNED me from flying my beautiful, beautiful ship on missions. The only time I'll ever be able to use her is when I help with basic training!"

"At least she's letting you be a technician, if it was anyone else they would've been dismissed right away," Poe muttered.The two continued walking down the corridor to the hangar. " It won't be so bad, you know Rose. I'm sure you'll come around to it, I know how much you loved tinkering on your ship."

She nodded, "I'll miss flying though." She took Poe's hand as they walked down the remainder of the hallway. When they came to the door, she let go and walked into the hangar. Poe continued behind her, but gave her space. He knew she would be fine.

Anna saw Rose and went to greet her. "Have you heard the news?" She smiled and asked.
"That you're going to be a mechanic now? Yeah!" Rose excitedly said, "I'm the only one who really knows why though so don't worry."

"So why do they think I'm leaving the fleet then?" Anna questioned.

"They think the general decided your leg was too much of a risk, because you never know when it'll act up."

"Mmmm, I was honestly expecting worse."

" Well we've got to get to work! You should have everything you need on the shelves back there, and you already know how everything works. So you should be set!"

Anna got to work as soon as she could, working on droids, repairing ships parts, you name it. She loved hearing stories from the droids, it was like when her mother told her stories as a child. It was a very nostalgic feeling. She finished fixing up the droid she was working on, and saw Poe fly into the hangar. She smiled at him as he walked over to her after hopping out of her ship.
"Is the hyperdrive messed up again?" She questioned him before he could say a word.
"Yeah.."

She grabbed some tools and walked over to his ship, Poe following close behind her. She looked at the malfunctioning hyperdrive and fixed it for him, getting her clothes dirty in the process. When she was done, she wiped her hands on her pants and smiled at Poe.
"All done!" She said.

"Thanks Anna, isn't time to head to the mess hall?"

"The day is over? I hadn't realized the time was going by so quickly."

They smiled as they walked hand in hand to go eat dinner.

——————