Answer Answering Nothing - 10/1/04

Friday, October 1, 2004

Had a thought, in the middle of the night. I had woken up and couldn't fall back asleep. You know how your mind will pick up the handiest piece of mental detritus and play with it, just to keep you from going back to sleep. Mine tends to play with words.

So I called up Gwendolyn today at work. 

"Freiholt & Wagner," she answered, "this is Gwendolyn St. John." Other telephones buzzing in the background.

"Mark," I said. "Gwen, you said a private institute took care of my... rehabilitation after I stabbed Mrs. Samuelson. What was the name of the institute?"

"Um..."

"Take a while if you need to remember. Call me back when you do."

"No... I think I do remember, actually. Saw a business card that they gave to one of the teachers. Big words, I remember being impressed. It's like... at a certain age you think that big words are the best credential to show off someone’s intelligence, capability..."

I thought that maybe Gwen, future barrister, had never really progressed past that age, but I said, "Yeah, so... the name?"

"The Institute for Neurological... something... Research?"

"Something? Did it start with an 'E'?"

She paused. "Yes, actually. How did you know? It was a word like encephalo... um... relating to the brain, of course— I guess encephalic is the right form. Yes."

"The Institute for..."

"Neurological/Encephalic Research. I'm almost positive that's what it was."

Institute, Neurological, Encephalic, Research. 

I-N-E-R. INER.

What does this mean?

posted by Mark Huntley @ 8:50 PM

---

Thanks for reading this entry. If you liked it, consider voting for it (click the star icon).