Perfect Beginnings

Earth used to be beautiful. With its green trees and tall mountains... I once read in a book Mount Everest was the tallest mountain in the world.  Historians of our age have researched on how earth used to look like. I've only seen the baby pink of the cherry blossom in pictures and books and the titanium white of the snow in a season called winter.

You must be wondering why am I saying that I've only seen these in pictures. Its true. Why? Because none of those things exist anymore. We no longer have seasons, or normal trees or even a huge array of flowers. Animals? Never seen any; they have all gone extinct.

Our ancestors were so selfish, they ruined earth for their own benefit. Exploiting its resources and allowing it to slowly deteriorate until everything went extinct. And by the time they wanted to change things it was too late. The only thing they could save was our kind. And they did. They ruined generations of lives and I hope they pay for it. 

At the time, the only place safe enough to flee to wasn't another planet but our oceans. Sea levels had risen so much that scientists predicted that if we lived under the water, in the right conditions we could live. So, they began to work. The whole human race rushed for their survival. Building a whole new world under the oceans of our Earth. The bottom of the ocean had never been seen... until now. They built giant dome-like structures. Once they had enough for a considerate amount of people they began to build small homes and connect the dome to the surface to be able to have an oxygen supply until scientists could find a way to replicate it. They made sure there was enough of everything to support life. They named it "Aquarella", the man made heaven. The man made perfection. The man made trap.

They began having people apply to go to Aquarella.  Only under certain conditions were you allowed. There was no space for defects, they said. They had no space for something that wasn't perfection. Thousands and millions of people applied thinking these people that made this Paradise would have mercy on them. Money and greed did not show any mercy. Sick people, people with terminal conditions, disabilities, the blind, the deaf, women who couldn't bear children, men who couldn't reproduce, even children who couldn't live long. They left them on what had become the "Surface" ; left there, to rot and die. Aquarella was to become a perfect place for humanity, where there would be no more conflicts, issues and everyone would live happily in their own little houses.

That was their objective. 

My ancestors managed to come to Aquarella and settle here, and built up their family. And from there I have come to exist. 

However, I never thought that wanting to see everything the was forbidden to me was bad.  was just curious. They do say "Curiousity killed the cat", and it definitely killed me. Punished and morphed into entirely someone else.

I, now, live secretly, hidden in the dark. Away from everything that's pretty.

A perfect world should be perfect, right? 

Nothing is ever perfect.