Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I quickly ran with Lydia, locking the tunnel gate

I quickly ran with Lydia, locking the tunnel gate. She double-checked it, giving me a nod before tugging me along with her, back to Scott and Malia.

"The tunnel gates locked," Lydia called as the two of us ran into the room. "Everything's locked."

"Yeah, and my jacket does not appreciate the excessive amounts of dirt and dust that fell on it during our mission," I huffed, apologizing to my jacket as I wiped the leather off. "I just cleaned and shined this baby..."

Scott closed the heavy door behind us, grunting as he locked it, "Not... important..." he grunted out.

I gave him an annoyed glare as he let go of the vault door.

"Think it'll hold 'em off?" Malia asked, jogging over to join the three of us at the entrance of the room.

"Probably not," Scott breathed out.

"Definitely not," Lydia confirmed.

"You guys aren't hoping I'm gonna be the optimist, are you?" Malia questioned.

We all shared doubtful looks and I shook my head, "Listen, let's not think about the impending doom hovering above us currently, okay?" I asked everyone. "Now, any objections?"

No one said anything, continuing to look in between each other and that was answer enough, "Then what the hell are we waiting for?" I wondered, moving closer to the capsule ahead of us.

Scott followed after me, the two of us coming to a stop as we examined the machine. It had various buttons and switches to be set and I suddenly became much more aware of the fact that we have no clue what the hell we're doing.

But that's normally just a given.

"So how cold does this thing get?" Scott asked, eyeing the capsule suspiciously.

"Cold enough for a Hellhound," Lydia told him certainly.

"So, ice cube cold or kinda like, umm, refrigerated potato salad cold?" I wondered, chewing my lip anxiously.

Lydia gave me a blank look, "Try borderline Cryogenic preservation," she explained with a raised brow.

My eyes widened and I felt my mouth go slack, "Okay, now that was something I was not aware of. IS it too late to take a raincheck?"  I coughed out.

Lydia rolled her eyes, continuing her explanation, "It's not like the ice bath you guys gave Isaac, but it can lower your core temperature past... well, anything a human can survive."