Chapter 19 - Frightening Stuff

Josh was tired.  Patience had slept on the far side of the bed with her back to him all night.  He hardly slept as he missed her touch. His body ached, from the inside out.  He wished, for the billionth time, that he wasn’t such an idiot.

He and Patience were having breakfast served with a heavy slice of silence when Serenity stumbled in through the front door.  Her hair was all over the place, her clothes were creased and skewed on her, she looked exhausted and her eyes were all puffy and red.

“All men are cretins!  You all should be locked in a dark place, sent to the mines, exterminated or...” she stomped her foot as she tried to think up a suitable insult, “Injected with Female hormones until they grow breasts and have periods!” and with that she spun on her heel and ran upstairs.

“Well,” Josh said slowly, “That was different.”

Patience put her bowl in the dishwasher and sighed before following Serenity upstairs.  With her hand posed to knock, something heavy and obviously fragile smashed inside Serenity’s room.  Patience wondered if she should be pulling out the ice-hockey gear that Loyal brought a couple of years ago, but decided that would only enrage Serenity more.

“Serenity, I’m coming in,” she held up her hands to show that she was unarmed and had no male bits.

“What a loser!  What an arrogant... loser!  I can’t believe I actually thought he was ‘the one’!”

“What happened Serenity?”

Serenity spun to her, “That, that, that...” with each ‘that’ her face morphed from rage to pain to sorrow, “He said I was stupid,” she finally blubbered. 

“Did you have a fight?”

“No,” she sniffed, “I just wanted to know if he was a werewolf too and he laughed at me.  He laughed at me. Me?  I mean... me!” She randomly picked up something else and threw it against the wall. 

Patience fought the cringe as she made a note to herself to ring the John, the local decorator who had a talent for patching holes in walls.

“Why would he do that?” Serenity continued, “No one laughs at me!  No one treats me like that.” 

She fell onto the bed and sobbed, “He can’t be my mate!  A mate wouldn’t do that!  Maybe he was rejecting me?  Do you think he laughed because he didn’t want me as his mate?  Well, I’ll show him!  I’ll run away, turn myself into a top fighter and come back devastatingly beautiful and he’ll be begging for me!”

“Serenity, there is one fatal flaw with your plan...” Patience cringed.

“Yeah, I know,” Serenity sighed, “I’m already stunning.  I know.  I can’t get any more beautiful, it’s just not possible.” 

“Well actually, I was going to question the fighting...”

“Yes, yes, yes.  I would need to get acrylic nails, the type that wouldn’t break or chip.  I had already thought of that.  Do you think he would respect me if I learnt to fight?”

“Umm...”

“I still can’t believe he laughed at me,” Serenity half sobbed.

“Well Serenity,” Patience cringed as she tried to think of a delicate way of putting this, “Not everyone believes in werewolves.  Most people think they are fairytales, you know, make-believe.”

“But Wattpad...” Serenity looked up with huge innocent eyes.

“The stories on Wattpad might be all the same but that isn’t necessarily because they are based on fact... maybe it’s just... I don’t know... lack of imagination?” Patience winced at Serenity’s glare and decided that was an argument for another day.   “Serenity, what do you really want?  You really like this guy, right?  He’s someone special?  If he’s not one, then maybe you aren’t a werewolf either, couldn’t that be possible?”