Chapter 8: Unexpected Reunion

"Corpse Whisperer."

The name is jostled around, back and forth, echoing throughout the halls as Dr. Naomi Kimishima confidently strides through. She knows she will be allowed admittance, and that these whisperings are nothing but meaningless lies. Being gawked at, speculated upon...one gets used to that after a while.

The doctor enters the Chief's book-filled room, though, with a sense of deep foreboding. The Chief calls. That can't be good.

"Did you call for me, Chief Wayne?" the mysterious doctor inquires.

The Chief turns around to analyze her. Testing her capabilities. "Good morning, Naomi. It seems the FBI needs your expertise," he says casually, cautiously. He can't afford to lose her. She's one of his best workers. "I'd like you to head over to the scene immediately."

With a barely visible flip of her silver hair, Dr. Kimishima replies, "I'm a medical examiner. Not a police officer."

The Chief is worried. He knows Naomi has little respect for government agencies. And yet, he knows she won't turn down a case like this. "Don't be like that. I can't just turn the government down."

"Fine," she says just as casually as the Chief. "Well, then…"

As she turns to leave, the Chief suddenly interrupts her. "Oh, and Naomi?" She turns around. "One more thing."

A blond man in a business-like navy blue suit steps out from behind the door. The Chief continues to explain. "Here's our liaison from the FBI. You should meet him."

The doctor's blue eyes flash coldly with apprehension. "You?" She knows fully well who this man is, but never expected to meet him…least of all in a place like this.

The newcomer meets her eyes directly, showing no recognition, apology or fear. "Special Investigator Navel. A pleasure to meet you, Doctor."

Naomi knows how this game is played now. She recomposes herself. "Yes…pleasure to meet you too," she answers, in a forced voice that isn't really hers. Navel still resumes his faintly interested expression, yet Naomi knows he's just pretending. He's got some experience with that...

She locks eyes with her liaison. Game on.

"What are you doing? You, an FBI agent? This must be a joke!" Naomi asserts to her companion.

Heads begin to turn. Navel glances around and gives a small, nervous laugh. "Please keep your voice down. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Naomi ignores his attempt at lightness and continues her brisk stride down the clinical hall.

"And besides…I didn't have the luxury of witness protection, like you."

Unfazed by Navel's idea of small talk, Dr. Kimishima keeps walking. "Just shut up! I'm only here because it's my job. I have nothing to do with you faking your way into the FBI." She pauses. "And don't you ever talk about my past again."

"Whatever you say, ma'am," says the agent with a hint of his old sarcasm.

"Good." Naomi resumes her quick stride down the hall...without Navel.

"Whoa, where are you going?" asks Navel, completely taken unawares.

"To the crime scene! Send the address to my GPS!"

"Oh. I'll…have them bring the car around." Navel tries to smile, but can't. Naomi turns back.

"You are waiting here. Tell your people on site I'm coming."

"Huh? But…um…" Navel can't think of anything to say.

Before he can react, Naomi takes hold of his tie. "Nice tie, Little Guy. Now be a good boy and stay." As quickly as she had startled Navel, she runs off to the scene.

"Huh? Doctor!" It takes "Little Guy" a while to process that. "Oh, well…"