Chapter 2: Foul Mood

A Foul Mood

Chapter 2

“Ahhhh!” Maria cooed, as she let the warm water cascade down her body. It felt so good to relax.

Calmly getting out of her shower, Maria mentally planned a day of leisure and fun with just her and her Harley. Having spent twenty out of twenty four hours on duty, for the last 4 nights, she was exhausted. The life of a paramedic was tough at times.  After a few nice cozy hours at what she called home, she decided it was time to get moving.  She flipped the light on in her loft kitchen, and as she dried her short, chocolate, barely neck length hair in nothing but her shorts and her towel, she suddenly jumped as her phone shrieked to life.

“Dammit! Who the hell is calling me on my day off?” She ran to her cell and grabbed it just after the first ring.

“Maria Torres here. Oh hey, Chief”

“Maria, a fire has broken out at 14th Street! Get there, and hurry!”

With a slight high pitched notch in her voice, she said “Huh? Why are you calling me? I’m off duty!”

“Everyone else is already out right now!" The Chief growled. "Stop complaining and go!”

Exasperated, Maria said, “Fine but I better see a bonus next payday!”

She quickly threw on whatever clothes were close by, and opened her door. That door, also served as a garage door. She lived in a small loft that most would just call a storage garage. Which was what it was. But to Maria, who was very frugal, decided, “What the heck? I can blow all that extra cash on my Harley! Screw rent!”

And she did.

Quickly grabbing her keys, and the small supply bag she always kept while off duty, she jumped onto her bike and full throttled it all the way.

“Hell ya!” She screamed. Haha! C’mon people outta my way! C’mon move!”

This is the life” She thought to herself

“Even if my weekend did end up being screwed…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Maria arrived on scene of the accident, she stared in awe at the frantic scene in front of her. The structure was engulfed in flames, and the thought of someone being stuck in there at this point gave her the chills, despite the heat from the flames.

“C’mon, Maria. Let’s do this!” She thought to herself

Parking her Harley next to the Resurgam ambulance, she quickly made her way to one of the paramedics on scene.

The fire reaches Maria's nose and eyes, and both water in the smoke. This isn't the controlled fire in Maria's home; this is the real deal. The house is on fire, covering every inch of flammable surface. Flames leap and dance, threatening Maria to come closer.

"Hey, you!" Maria yells. "Has everybody been rescued?"

The paramedic Maria had been shouting to looks up from his stretcher. "Who the—" he starts, but never gets to finish.

"I'm with Resurgam First Care!" Maria yells. "Tell me what's going on!"

"A fire broke out in the power facility!" the paramedic groans. He's heard of a rampaging woman wearing a yellow and green coat, one who always loses her temper. "It's being contained…"

Suddenly, a loud bang echoes from within the house. Maria doesn't hesitate and jumps to the nose, ignoring the paramedic's shouts to stop her.

"What happened?" she asks, once she's reached the source of the explosion.