Chapter 3: Captain Eagle

In a normal store, in the middle of a normal city named Portland, something abnormal is happening inside indeed. Panic has arisen inside as shoppers cower behind shelves of canned food, or toothpaste, or light bulbs, their hands pressed over their ears and just hoping to make out of this alive. Only one person is moving actively, and he's yelling his head off, hand slapping the counter, demanding heavily for the things he want.

"Hurry up and gimme the cash!" he roars at the frightened cashier. "Make it quick!"

The mugger, however, doesn't seem to be confident in himself; his tone is high pitched, filled to the brim with nervousness and spasms. Even so, the cashier's hands are raised, knees knocking against each other in fear, so it comes as a surprise when a steady voice breaks the nervous silence.

"Not so fast, criminal," a deep voice claims.

The mugger turns away from the counter, gun pointed at the tall and muscular guy in front of him, in a ridiculous costume. "Who the hell are you?" he demands, but there's something about that man that makes him more scared than he should be from him…

"I am the ambassador of love and justice," the man declares. "Captain Eagle! No crime will be tolerated on my watch!"

Captain Eagle is fit in an ocean blue costume with yellow stripes on the ankles and biceps. On his back is the silhouette of an eagle, and apparent, the captain's insignia too. Two golden wings sprout from his head, like pointed elf ears, each the width of his head. And on his neck, a deep red ribbon trails behind him, floating in an invisible wind.

"What?" the gunner shrieks. "You masked freak! I-I'm gonna shoot!"

His hands are queasy with spasms, though, so the chance of the bullet actually hitting Captain Eagle isn't big.

The mega captain seems to realize this, and steps forwards, grabbing the man by his collar and lifting him with one arm. The mugger's head flies into the ceiling and to everyone's amazement, breaks the ceiling away and goes right through. A shower of dust and debris swirls around Captain Eagle, and the cashier just manages to keep a scream in, but the mugger is howling in pain.

"Sir," says Captain Eagle to the cashier, his hand still raised at the ceiling, holding the kicking robber tightly. "Are you all right?"

"Y-Yeah…" he stutters, utterly frightened and amazed at the scene being carried out before his very eyes.

"I apologize for the mess," the captain says. "Please allow me to help fix it…"

He throws the robber up onto the roof, and steps towards the counter. A hand stretches out, and the tinkering sound of coins falling is heard. The cashier leans in and spots a few pennies, nickels, and dimes, not even enough to reach one dollar.

"And farewell!" Captain Eagle cries, and runs out of the store, into the sunny day street, and passersby glare at him, questioning his sanity.

"Wait! This isn't gonna cover the damage!" the cashier yells, but it's too late.

Captain Eagle is gone.