Evolve

HADLEY'S POV

People are moving so fast now.

You don't realize this when you keep on moving with them but when you stop for a minute to think, to register some thought, you see everyone is rushing. They are trying to get ahead of nature, of their deadlines.

The gravel path under my feet is coarse and a bit muddy from the continuous rain. I realize the rush of the world in moments like this, when I'm depending on someone. I look at the students running to reach back home or the library so that they can complete their work and I understand how I late I am being in front of everyone else just because I am waiting for mum to pick me up.

My mum...... some people would call her a 'soccer mom' when I was in middle school but now she is just another shadow in my life. She liked being involved in my life once, when things were simple but as the world moves, things that she didn't want to change, changed drastically.

Sometimes I don't even get when the things changed. I don't remember when she stopped asking me if my bag was set or if my legs were paining from too much running. I don't remember her drifting away from me, at least from what was left of me.

And this thing irritated me, that she made the decision not asking me if I wanted it or even needed it.

The shrill chirping of my phone ring brings me out from my trail of thoughts and I look down to see mum calling me.

"Hello"

"Hi, I'm sorry but I'm kind of busy in some cleaning in the storage room so can you come back? Take the bus"

"Yeah okay, I'll come"

The call ended without a goodbye or without any sign that may indicate an end. If it was someone else, they would blamed the phone company and grumbled about the fact that the connection is not good but that is not how things are in my house.

We have our own rules, our own beginning, our own end and a flawed past in the middle.

I walk down the gravel path and reach the nearest bus stop which was mostly empty excluding two more students who appear to be in sophomore year.

I wait for the bus to arrive and not think of anything as Dr. Stephens wants me to have an empty mind at times. A mind free from my own rushing thoughts.

The bus arrives, I take a seat near the windows to experience the crisp, cool wind hitting my face every second. I again tried to empty my mind from my thoughts and think of songs but then I start thinking about a documentary on a person who committed genocide. I stop everything and just look at the passing streets.

I reach the house in about fifteen minutes and open it with my keys as mum always locks it when she goes to the basement.

The house always looks the same whenever I enter it. Everything will be in its original place as dad is a bit OCD and there will be no papers or documents lying around. The kitchen will not be messed up and the green curtains covering the left wall will always be closed and have wrinkles in the same place as nobody ever opens it.

I keep my bag at the loveseat nearby and move to take the stairs down to the basement.

Mum is sitting roughly on a little stool present at one corner of the room and is rummaging through some cartons marked with my name. I arch my brow on seeing them and mum signals for me to come down.

"Good you arrived yourself. Look at all this junk you kept here, wasn't this all for a history project last year? Why is it still kept?"

I peer inside the boxes and see numerous tapes scattered with names from various pantheons written on it.

Dr. Stephens once asked me not to think too much about things related to my past as they may bring about grief, anger and agony. I try to follow his words as much as possible but with the things from my past lying in front of me, I couldn't stop my mind from wandering...

********************************************************

"Do you even work here Hadley?"

I look up from the book that I was reading about the roman god Zeus to find Sebastian staring at me with a vintage camera in hand with which he was capturing me.

"I repeat the question to you only, do you even work here Sebastian?"

He laughed on my annoyed question and waved the camera in my face so closely that I was able to see the chipped paint on one corner.

"I do. I'm working for my future Hadley, my bright shiny future"

I close the book and keep it on the shelf again. "I can see that"

He smirked and put his glasses on in a manner that made me feel like he was going to explain me film photography.

"Allow me to explain you what I was doing dear Hadley. I'm creating mini clips on the stuff around me so that I can create a glimpse of their daily routine and you Hadley, are a hell big part of this"

I stared at him like he was talking about going to Jupiter for a jog.

"Why me?"

"I like stalking you and you are aesthetically pleasing"

"Who will get this?"

"You will stupid"

"Okay........."

*******************************************

And I did get them. After two weeks, 12 mini clips were lying in a box at my feet with my name on it.

Sebastian stuck his tongue out when I said nothing to him.

"So here are the prised possessions, I've named every clip according to your current obsession aka mythology. Hope you like them and if you don't then return them to me! They cost me bloody much"

I never gave them back to him. There were clips named 'Zeus's bolt', 'Poseidon's trident', 'Hades helm' and many more. I couldn't bring myself to give them back to him.

"Hadley? Can I throw these away?" Mum asked me after I didn't reply her for a while.

"No, who knows when I will need what again...... I'll take the box to my room"

I picked the box up and brought it to my room and kept it far behind my bed so that they don't come in my vision.

I hid them well just like I hid my past from everyone.

Hi everyone! So finally i completed this chapter and I'm quite happy with the outcome. I wanted to introduce Sebastian in this chapter and this back story gave me the best starting. i hope you all enjoy it!

love,

monxxxxx