XV

"It is a long story, my dear, and I think it would be best if we both sit down."

The man gestures to a cluster of rocks, not far from the edge of the lake, before proceeding to place himself on the tallest one.

He waited for Claire, as she made herself comfortable upon one of the smaller rocks, the lake lapping gently upon its base.

"I could say that this all started back when the farmhouse was first being built, in the early 1920s, the Ashen Man built this house for his new wife, in a sense, a wedding gift. Something to keep her happy while he was gone on business trips.

At that time, his wife, Sarafine, was okay with that. She had always wanted a house, and later on a farm, to take care of and manage. Yet, as time went on, and her husband came back little and little, Sarafine missed her husband greatly; missed the future that he had promised her.

She only later found out that her husband was seeing other people, cheating on her behind her back. How she was so naïve, she did not know.

In the years that followed, Sarafine started to get into black magic, hoping to find a way she could get her husband back, at least for a short time. For if she couldn't have him, then nobody else could.

I first met Sarafine in 1924, on one of the most stormy nights of the year. She had summoned me as a last resort, for she had tried everything she could to try to get her husband back, for I was, and still am, one of the most powerful demons in Satans court.

Sarafine had told me all that had happened with her husband, how he had bought her silence with a house, and all that she could ever want; but all that she ever wanted was her husband, and to be loved. She didn't care about the house, the money, or any object that he could prove her when he wasn't home.

All she had ever wanted was to be loved.

I, of course, agreed to her wishes, only adding on that she would have 6 months of happiness before I would come back again.

This is where the legends get the story wrong.

Sarafine did not jump off the roof, not willingly at least.

Her husband found out what she ha practiced dark magic, and went into a mad rage - forcing her to jump off the roof to atone for what she had done; after realizing what he had done, he made all their servant leave for a holiday, giving him enough time to burn himself to death.

This is where you come in, Claire.

In her final days, Sarafine called upon me, asking for a promise- one that I would soon be able to fulfill.

She told me of her child, one in which her husband was unaware of - sent away moments after the child's birth.

Sarafine had made me promise to protect her child, and all of her descendants that followed, so that her husband could do them no harm; to make sure that they never returned to the farm unless they were truly ready.

Claire, my dear friend, are one of the descendants of Sarafine, and if I recall correctly, one of the final few left.

For when you are gone, the Ashen Man will finally be free of this place.

You need to be wary tonight, for The Ashen Man will do anything in his power to make sure that he can leave.

I can give you one thing though, one bargaining chip against The Ashen Man. But, be warned, only use it if you've exhausted every other option, every alley.

Though, as soon as I give it to you, I must take my leave, for my time is finally over."