Chapter Four

Word Count: 1687

~Millicent

I can't let Sinful's appearance get to me.

His letter sits on the table in front of me. It's still folded up, curiosity bubbling up within in me, my twitching fingers begging to pick it up and read what written. His visit here has left me breathless, still, hours after he has left. His presence still lingers in the air, a tingling feeling still existing on the surface of my skin.

My gaze flickers up to the fireplace that crackles up against wall, before it falls on the letter again. Should I burn it? If I burn it, then it will be vanished forever, and the words he wrote upon it will be haunting me for who knows how long.

Picking it up, I slip it back into my pocket, where it is once again, concealed from my sight. Right now, I have more important matters to deal with.

I need to get on the other side of that wall.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting to find, but as I wander back to my bed, I let my imagination run wild, considering all options.

The favourite that swings through my mind, is the idea that a physical manifestation of the Moon exists beyond that wall. Or maybe, there's a hoard of riches, or a library with the answers to all of life's biggest mysteries remain within it. All these seem delectable, but the most intriguing, is the idea of a person like Moon.

What would they be like? Surely they would be as poisonous as the Moon that controls my life here. Surely they would terrorise me to no end, no matter what physical appearance they take on. Maybe I shouldn't uncover this then.

But if I have any chance of escaping, I need to expose it.

I don't put a single step out of line the next morning. I'm retrieved by my escorts and taken to the Temple for my morning ritual, before taken to lunch. Thankfully, nothing disturbs my lunch. No blood, no horrific consequence. Maybe Sinful was successful in his visit. I just don't understand how that could be...

Lucy seems indifferent to it all, almost like she is distracted. On a normal day, I would ask her about it, but today, she can keep her secrets.

Just like I'm going to keep mine.

As per usual, the library is empty, giving me the perfect amount of time to wander around, plucking books off the shelves listening intently to the sounds that come from the other side of the wall. Unnervingly, it sounds like music.

I've accepted the fact that maybe, this is all for nothing.

For all I know, behind the wall, there could be nothing. Maybe it's the guards and see ants quarters and I'm just being too curious for my own good. The Moon likes leaving me wondering, leaving curious at all times. That keeps me from my main objective, which is not only escaping, but taking everything down with me.

Setting down my pile of books I have no interested in on the table, I sit back to think. Before Sinful interrupted me, I had noticed a book that seemed off. Now I can't seem to find it. It's almost like it's been taken away.

I'm so used to this room being dead quiet, that the moment I hear the sound of a page turning behind a nearby stack, my entire body freezes.

Does anybody else want to sneak up on me in here.

Bristling, I consider my approach. There's not many people it could be. If it's Sinful again, I'm not going to be happy. I thought, despite his warning, that I got my point through to him quite well. He is to leave me alone now. Right?

Sneaking around the stack, I peak around to see who is reading in here at this time of the day, since all the years I've been here, I've known no one to have time to be in here right now. I half expected to look around and not see anyone, chalking it up to paranoia, but instead, I do see someone standing there, leaning against the shelves, reading.