~~

Now

"So it didn't go that bad then?" Jensen asked. Charlie and I were at the park blowing off some energy. She was running all over the playground while I sat on the bench taking a break. "It went fine, but that's not the point, J. You shouldn't have told him where I lived!" I said into the phone as I watched Charlie go down the slide.

"He would've figured out eventually. Besides I was just making amends for hiding a secret for almost five years," he said. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "I know, J. I know. I guess it was just weird having him show up on my doorstep," I said. I checked in on Charlie who was playing with some other kids.

"What did Charlie think abour him?" he asked me. I smiled slightly. "She was a little skeptical at first, but once she realized he owned the farm I think she wanted to be his best friend," I said. Jensen chuckled. "Well, that's good at least. Hopefully you two were civil," he said referring to me and Jeff. "We're not animals, J. Him and I barely had a conversation. I mostly just observed while the two of them got to know each other," I said.

"Well, that's good. Maybe this will be the start of something," he said. I nodded even though he couldn't see me. My eyes scanned the playground for Charlie. "Yeah, I'm hoping that him and Cha-.....Charlie!" I shot off of the bench I was sitting on. "Everything okay?" Jensen asked. I started walking towards the playground.

"I gotta call you back," I saidd hanging up and tucking my phone in my pocket. "Charlie! Charlie!" I called out. She was no longer on the playground and I couldn't see her. "Charlie!" I called out again feeling the panic in me start to rise. I looked left and right trying to spot her when an all too familiar giggle pierced the air.

I turned and my eyes locked on Charlie who was swinging. I let out a sigh of relief and then I noticed who was pushing her. "Charlie!" I called out making my way towards her. Her eyes searched for me and when they locked with mine her smile instantly dropped. Jeffrey haulted the swing abruptly.

Charlie hopped off the swing and started moping towards me. "Charlie, you know better than to run off," I said while embracing her in a huge hug. "Running off? Charlie ran over to me and told me you knew where she was," Jeffrey said. I looked at Charlie who had her head to the ground not even meeting my eyes. "No, I didn't know where she was at. I was on the phone with Uncle Jensen when she disapppeared," I said sternly still looking at Charlie who frowned.

"Charlie, why did you lie to Mr. Jeffrey?" I asked her. She shrugged her shoulders. "I wanted to play with Mr. Jeffrey," she said quietly. I looked up at Jeffrey who was staring down at Charlie. "We're going home, Charlie so you can think about what you've done," I said standing up and taking Charlie's hand.

"Say goodbye to Mr. Jeffrey," I said. Charlie waved shyly. She knew she was in trouble. "Ronnie, wait," Jeffrey said right behind us. I shook my head. "No, Jeffrey. She needs to know what she did was wrong," I said opeing my car door. "Get in the car, Charlie," I said. She climbed in the car and got in her booster seat. I shut the car door and turned to Jeffrey.

"I'm sorry, Ronnie," I shook my head. "I'm not mad at you," I said. He nodded. "Charlie knows better than to do stuf like that," I said crossing my arms over my chest. "It's my fault too. I should've come and checked with you," he said. I smiled. "It's okay," I said. He nodded towards the car.

"Can I talk to her?" he asked. I stepped aside and gestured towards the car. He opened the door and somehow squeezed himself backwards in the back seat to look at Charlie. "You know your momma loves you, right?" he asked her. She nodded, but didn't look at him. "You shouldn't have lied to her," he said. "I know," she whispered softly. "I'm sure she would've let you come see me if you would've told her where I was at," he said.

She nodded. "So, next time you see me, tell your momma first and I'm sure she'll bring you to me, okay?" Charlie nodded with a smile. "Alright, good girl. I'll see you later," he said while pulling his lanky self out of my car. He shut the door and turned to me. "Thank you for letting me talk to her," he said.

I nodded. "Well hopefully you difused the situation some. She's still gonna be punished," I said. He nodded. "Rightfully so. She needs to learn not to run off like that. With this world you just never know anymore," he said. I looked back at Charlie in the car who was looking blankly out the front window.

"I know. She's super friendly and sometimes that can be a scary thing," I said, my mind wandering to all the giant possibilities. "Hey, it'll be okay. You haven't lost her so far," he said. My eyes snapped to his. By the smile on his face I could tell he was trying to lighten the mood. "You're doing good, Ronnie. It's obvious. But you don't have to do it alone now. I'm her....," his voice trailed off as he looked at her.

"F-a-t-h-e-r," he said spelling out the word so she wouldn't understand. "I can help," he said softly stuffing his hands in his pockets. I nodded. "I know, Jeff, but we have to take things slow. I don't want Charlie getting any ideas," I said. "Like what, Ronnie? Two parents who will love her and protect her? Cause God forbid she gets the wrong idea," he said pulling out a pack of cigarettes.

I shook my head. "That's not what I meant," I said. He lit up a cigarette and took a long drag. "Then, please. Explain," he said. "I don't want her thinking that becasue you're around that it means you and I are together. She's young. She doesn't quite understsand all of that quite yet. She doesn't even know the real reason you're around. Just please, one thing at a time," I said.

Jeffrey finished his cigarette and threw it on the ground . "When is Charlie's next free day?" he asked. I leaned against the car. "Charlie is in preschool. She goes three days a week for four hours a day. MOnday, Wednesday, and Friday from eight until twelve," I said. I couldn't believe the school year was almost over and she would be in Kindergarten in less than six months.

"What about Tuesday?" he asked. I shrugged. "What about it?" I asked him in return. He nodded towards the car. "Maybe you could bring Charlie by the farm. Let us have some one on on time and feed the animals," he said. I sighed. "Come on, Ronnie. You can still be there. The farm is big enough. I just want some one on one time with her," he said.

"I don't know, Jeff," I said. He tapped on the window and waved at Charlie who waved back with a smile. "It's not like I'm going to kidnap her," he siad turning back to me. "I know," I said. His arm reached out and squeezed my upper arm. "Just think about it. Call me later when you put the munchkin to bed," he said. He dropped his hand and turned to walk away. I closed my eyes and let out a breath. "Hey Jeff!" I called out as I opened my eyes just as he turned around. "Yeah?" he asked me.

"Tuesday? What time?" I asked. He smiled. "How about four? Just in time for dinner!" he said. I nodded. "See you then," I said heading towards the driver's seat. "You can still call me tonight!" he called back. I looked at him and he winked before smiling and walking away. I got in the car and looked in the mirror to see my face was bright red.

--

Awe my heart! I loved/hated this chapter! The next chapter is better, promise!

Predictions?

Comment, vote, fan, follow, add to reading list and spread the word!! Reedus kisses for everyone!!! xxxxxxxxxxx