Under the Blossoms

Under the Blossoms:

Chapter 5:

A blanket of silence spread over the grove as Ciel stared horror struck at Sebastian. The only way for him to win the bet was for Sebastian to fall in love with him. That had been the last thing he had been expecting, to be more precise he had never considered it. He was a male, it was forbidden for two males to be in a relationship.* A thought of what the Queen's reaction would be passed unbidden through his mind. He would have sullied the Phantomhive name forever.

"I regret to say that I have not fallen for you, young master," Sebastian said and reached out to stroke his cheek. "I admire your fortitude and intelligence and I enjoy watching you outwit others and I also enjoy watching you when you are at your lowest. However I do not hate you, but I do not love you either."

Ciel recovered his speech if only to blurt out. "So I have lost? What about my order?"

Sebastian's face twisted into a scowl. "Yes, that order. I do not think it has taken effect. You see, I do not feel anything when I do this."

As quick as lightening he pushed Ciel up against a cherry blossom tree, knocking his eye patch and bent his left arm back which broke with a sickening crack. Ciel cried out in pain and fear. He was going to be killed by the one person who was supposed to protect him unless he did something to fight back.

"The order did not cover breakage of limbs, I still may have won," he managed to say in a level voice that showed no sign of his unease.

Without saying another word Sebastian broke his right leg causing Ciel to scream again and the demon's hands moved up Ciel's body and wrapped themselves around his neck.

"I win, young master."

The boy choked as his butler's hands began to squeeze and constrict his airway and his vision started to fade.

"It would have been more fitting to stab you with some Phantomhive silver considering the number of people that I have killed on your behalf or to rip your head off, but I want to see the light leave your eyes."

Ciel's grip on consciousness started to fade and he waited for the end, his only regrets being that he had not found the ones responsible for his parents' deaths and he had not managed to outsmart Sebastian. Then he felt the grip around his neck loosen and his vision slowly became clearer.

"Why can't I do it?" Sebastian whispered and let Ciel go, causing him to sink to the ground with a thud. "I do not love you."

"The or-"

"A demon cannot be ordered to love anyone," he cut Ciel off.

Ciel tried to sit up and winced. His left arm was hanging uselessly at his side, but most importantly he was still alive. It did make sense that Sebastian could not be made to love him through an order. He cleared his throat.

"I will forget what happened today if you never try to kill me again."

"That will not do!" the demon snapped back. "The bet must have a conclusion again."

Ciel knew that he had to tread carefully as Sebastian was clearly angry. Nevertheless he preferred to win the bet and keep the contract and demon. Sebastian was supposed to protect him, not try to kill him and make creepy bets under cherry blossom trees which had been giving him sleepless nights. He was not acting befittingly of a Phantomhive butler.

"I won. You cannot bring yourself to kill me. Therefore I go free and this bet ends. You have lost, Sebastian. Accept it."

He was not going to be the one to mention the other factor. They were both males for heaven's sake. Unthinkingly an image of Grell Sutcliffe popped up in his head and he groaned inwardly. Maybe it was something normal for Grim Reapers and demons.