Chapter 8 - Siren's Song

-8-

-Siren's Song-

A rusted hatch lay in front of them. The damage was so extensive that they could see down into the murky depths below through small holes, and even hear the soft ebb and flow of water as it drifted through the tunnel system.

"Going down there isn't a good idea," Madeline shook her head as she rummaged through the car's trunk.

"Well it's not like she's going to come up to us," Akane pointed out, slamming his foot down on the hatch and busting it open. What remained of the metal fragmented and fell into the dark hole, splashing into water some way down.

"Can't we just wait her out though?" she asked, "She's got to come out sometime; we can take her out in the open."

The assassin shook his head. "These tunnels could have dozens of exits; if Lorelei felt threatened she would just leave and turn up somewhere else. We have to go in where she feels safest, and then strike quickly. When she sees me she will come, and I will kill her."

Maddy pulled a handheld floodlight out of the trunk, hefting it up with both hands. "If you say so. Just so we're clear, I'm manning the light. You're on your own with the whole slice'n'dice thing."

He nodded. "Of course. Come, we must do this quickly. Our presence may attract attention that we can't deal with yet."

She pocketed the keys as the car locked, carrying the hefty floodlight in one arm as she made her way over to the tunnel. The rusty ladder creaked as she tested it with one foot, letting a shower of brown flecks loose into the tunnel. It would never hold her weight.

"Oh well, it looks like we can't get down. Guess we should just go back to the apartment." Her tone was hopeful, but deep down she knew it was pointless.

She could swear the assassin rolled his eyes as he reached forward, grabbing her by the shoulders tightly with both hands. Before her eyes he dematerialised into the cloud of pitch-black smoke, swirling around her body and pushing her through the air rapidly. She fell into the tunnel, Akane's smoke acting as a safety net that controlled her descent into the darkness. Even so, her stomach churned at the feeling of weightlessness as the light from the surface faded away. Her back touched down none too gently onto a metal grate, and she heard a rustling sound as Akane took form again. It was dark.

"You should probably light that torch," he suggested from somewhere in the blackness.

As she ran her hands over the plastic and metal surface she heard a soft hissing; Akane's blades being drawn from their sheaths. When she finally flicked the switch the tunnel flooded with light, making the living shadows that had gathered around Akane retract slightly. Now that the passageway was illuminated, she could see their surroundings clearly. A thirty-foot wide set of passageways stretched off in four directions, as if they were at some underground crossroads. The centre of the channels were filled with water, but metal catwalks extended along each side.

"Any idea where she might be?" Maddy asked in a whisper, banking the torch through the darkness as her skin crawled. The idea of a monster lurking in the blackness was enough to make her shiver.

"Listen."

They both fell silent, straining their ears and not moving a muscle. Over the gentle flow of murky water Madeline could pick up a slight sound, barely even noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it. The sound was beautiful. Harmonising with the sound of running water, it formed an unmatchable tune that gave Maddy goose bumps.

"What is that?" Maddy asked hazily, finding it hard to focus. Her feet seemed to instinctively move along the catwalk, down the left-hand passageway.