The Sorting ceremony

Harry walks across the platform, pushing a cart forward. On that cart stands two things: his trunk and his huge birdcage, in which his beautiful, white snow owl is sleeping. How do I know that? I see him walking. He's talking to that filthy Half-Giant. 

'Draco, stop staring,' I hear my mother, Narcissa Malfoy, saying. I didn't even notice that I was staring. 'We have to go, before the train leaves,' she adds and I nod. 'I'm coming mother!' I follow her and my father, Lucius Malfoy, through the wall between platforms 9 and 10. When you pass that wall, you arrive at platform 9 3/4, the platform from where the Hogwarts Express picks you up and takes you to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 'Okay. Listen very carefully to me now, Draco,' my father says. I nod. 'When you step into the train, you immediately search for an empty coupé. As soon as you arrive at Hogwarts, be sure that you'll be sorted into Slytherin, okay?' 'Of course, father,' I say. My father looks satisfied with me. 'I'm sure you'll be a good DeathEater, son. The Dark Lord would be proud of you.' I look proud at my father. 'Do you really think that?' I ask excitedly. My father nods. 'Of course, Draco. You're a Malfoy!' I almost jump in the air. 'Now, go Draco. Before the train leaves without you,' my mother says. I agree and say goodbye. 'Bye, Draco!' I walk onto the train.

I do what my father told me to. I'm looking for an empty coupé. While searching, I pass a coupé in which a girl and two boys sit. The girl has brown, curly hair and brown eyes: Hermoine Granger. One of the boys has orange/red hair and green eyes. I immediately recognize him: a Weasley, he's most likely the youngest brother of them all: Ron Weasley. The other boy has dark brown/almost black hair, wears black, round glasses, and has blue eyes. That's that Potter boy I saw on the platform before. He notices me and waves to me. I wave slowly back, asking myself why I did that. I see the two boys whispering with each other. 'No Harry, you can't invite a Malfoy!' the Weasley says. 

Harry ignores him, stands up, and walks to the door. 'Want to join?' he asks in the doorway. I stand doubtful in front of him. 'I- Uhm, no thanks. I already have a seat', I say and then I walk away. 

'Harry, why did you do that?' Hermoine asks when she's sure that I can't hear them anymore. 'Because he seems nice', Harry answers. Ron shakes his head. 'Lesson number one: Malfoys aren't nice. They use people to their own advantage', Ron says. Harry nods uncertainly.

A little bit sad, I sit in the only empty coupé that's left. I really hoped that I could be friends with them, I really tried. Then Harry passes my coupé. I wave at him, slightly smiling. Until now, I only smiled at my mother. Harry waves back, also smiling. 'Can I join?' I see his lips saying. I laugh and stand up. I open the doors of the coupé and let Harry in. He sits in front of me, just like he sat with Ron and Hermoine. I just can't believe that he's friends with them. I mean, he's one of the most famous people on this earth and then he hangs out with that filthy Moodblood of a Granger and that fool of a Weasley. 

'So, you're Draco, huh?' Harry asks. I wake up out of my thoughts. 'What? Yeah. I'm Draco. Draco Malfoy,' I say absent. 'Nice to meet you, Draco. I'm Harry. Harry Potter,' Harry says. I can see that he's serious. 'Nice to meet you too,' I say. We both look to the ground. 

'Hey, Uhm... In which house do you think you'll be sorted into?' I ask. Harry looks asking at me. 'Oh right, I forgot that you don't know where I'm talking about,' I say. 'No, I don't indeed'. 'Didn't Granger or Weasley tell you about Hogwarts?' I ask. Harry shakes his head. 'They have names: Hermoine and Ron and they wanted, though, but I wanted to buy some candy first and say 'hai' to you, what I definitely didn't tell them,' Harry says laughing. 'I think you should go then, they're probably waiting for you right now,' I say. Harry nods. I immediately regret that I said that. 

'I'm sorry, Draco,' Harry says, standing in the doorway of the coupé. 'No, I understand. I see you later at school, I guess,' I say and Harry wants to leave. 'Wait- before you go, I have to tell you that it's better if you put on your robe now, we've almost arrived.' 'Thank you,' Harry says and then he finally leaves.

'Welcome all. Because this is your first year, I introduce myself. I'm Minerva McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor and Transfiguration teacher. I'm also incoming headmaster when Dumbledore's away. Now I'll give you all some information about this school. As you all already know you have four houses at Hogwarts: Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw,' a strict-looking woman says. 'You should see these houses as your family because you'll be with them for seven years. Now follow me to the Great Hall, where you all get sorted into your house.' 

A huge group follows McGonagall to the Great Hall. As soon as we walk in, more than a thousand pairs of eyes stare at us. I feel kinda uncomfortable. When I look back, I see that Harry, Ron, and Hermione feel the same. 

'This hall is bigger than I could ever imagine!' I hear a boy saying. McGonagall stands on a kind of stage. There also stands a stool with an old, frayed pointed hat. 'Okay. When I call your name, you sit down on this stool, and then the Sortinghat will give you a house,' McGonagall says. She takes a list out of her robe and reads the names on it. 'Ronald Weasley,' McGonagall says. Ron sits down on the stool and the hat's on his head. 

'Ahhh, I see. Another Weasley. I know what to do with you...' Ron holds his breath. 'GRYFFINDOR!' Ron stands up, puts the hat back on the stool and runs to the Gryffindor table. 

Minerva goes further with her list: 'Hermoine Granger'. Hermoine is scared, I can see that. I see Harry putting an arm around her. 'It's gonna be okay, Hermoine', he whispers. I get a strange feeling when I see them. Hermoine gets new courage and sits down on the stool. 

'Hmmm... you're extremely smart. You're loyal too. You'll be a great Ravenclaw...' the hat seems to take an hour, 'hmmm... alright, I'll take my chances with you... GRYFFINDOR!!' Hermoine almost jumps off the stool. 

'Harry Potter', she says. I see Harry hesitant walking to the stool. I doubt if I should reassure him. Slowly, he sits down and McGonagall puts the hat on his head, which almost covers his face. "It looks funny and cute at the same time", fast I shake that thought off. 

'Hmm... you're smart and loyal. Slytherin would be good for you... you're also brave...' I hear the hat saying. 'Please not Slytherin. Please not Slytherin', Harry whispers. 'Hmm... not Slytherin, you say? Well, if that's what you want... GRYFFINDOR!!!' the hat says. The whole Gryffindor table starts clapping, including Hermoine and Ron. I see Harry relieved standing up and walking to the Gryffindor table. 

'Draco Malfoy', I hear McGonagall saying. "Oh damn, now it's my turn". 'You're loyal to your friends and family and loved ones, you're brave and smart. But you're ambitious, too. I think...' When I look up, I see Harry looking at me. 'SLYTHERIN!!!' I look around the Great Hall, nobody's clapping. Relieved, I walk to the Slytherin table and when I pass the Gryffindor table, I see Harry softly clapping and I feel his eyes burning on my back.

When everyone's sorted into his or her house, Dumbledore stands up from his seat. 'Welcome students. Before we start eating, I have a few words to say: the forest behind Hagrid's hut is forbidden, unless you want to die, of course. The lessons start tomorrow, your schedules are already in your Dormitory, just like your animals and trunk', he says. 

Whispers are excited. 'Now there's only one thing I have to say left: let's eat!' Dumbledore sits down again and all the tables that were once empty, are now full with all kinds of different food and drinks. I don't know where to start. I sit between two other boys, who are called Goyle and Crabbe. It seems that they don't care about how much food there is, they just eat. I look up, my eyes are searching for Harry's. His gaze catches mine at the exact same time. I smile and we both look away. 

"This isn't good", "my father always told me to avoid the Potter's, or at least the not-Pureblood's", "and now I can't stop looking at him", "I-- this can't be good. I have to avoid him..." I can't control my thoughts.

'Draco, are you coming?' Crabbe asks. I nod slowly. I look up from the table and see that Harry has already left. I walk a little disappointed behind Crabbe and Goyle, who are talking to our Head of House, Severus Snape, with heavy hand gestures.