"Nice scarf." He side eyed, his bushy brows raising at me as he eyed the material around my neck.

Braxton rushed past him as he made his way through the foyer. His hand patting dad's shoulder as he passed through. "It's very cold in the classrooms dad." He peeped, before rushing to my side.

My dad sent us a look, before shrugging his broad shoulders and looking down at the watch on his wrist. "You two better get going. Traffic might be a little hectic today since it's the first day." He said, but before he was even finish his sentence Braxton had chucked up the deuces and was making his way out the door.

"C'mon Ash, hell is waiting for us." He sang aloud.

Before I could even I step forward, I felt my dad's hand on my shoulders and he turned me around. Without warning he embraced me a hug. "Watch out for you brother." He said, and I snuggled in, "You're the only person I know that gives indefinite hugs, you know that?"

He snickered, "And you're always gonna get them."

We pulled apart and sent one last acknowledging nod, before I turned and made my way outside to see Braxton leaning against the passenger door of the car. I unlocked the door for him and he wasted no time hoping into the Range Rover. Before entering the car, I exhaled a deep breath to calm myself. However, every time I inhaled a breath I smelt that same lingering scent of vanilla and I found myself grimacing.

••••

The drive from my house to school wasn't too long of a drive. Fifteen minutes if the traffic wasn't too hectic. Pulling up in the schools student parking lot I felt my palms become sweaty and my grip tightening against the steering wheel. Stratford Academy was sheer upperclass luxury with it's white stucco walls, blue terra-cotta tile roof, scarlet oak trees, and student parking lot full of foreign cars I'm sure no one bought on their own.

When I saw De'Andre leaning against his car in the parking lot I decided to park next to him. Caleb was right next to him and was the first to greet me as I gathered my things and made my way out the car.

"Welcome to Stratford Academy," He chirped, his tone filled with sarcasm as he began to spin around with his long arms spread out. "You're gonna hate it!"

I felt my lips cracking into a small grin, De'Andre quickly placing a hand over my shoulder. "It's gonna be just like old time isn't it? The three of us skipping class to go chill under the bleachers, and do everything expect the one thing our parents are spending all their money for us to do."

I chuckled rolling my eyes, before turning my attention to Braxton as he made his way out the car. "You good?" I asked him, and he nodded.

"Do you have everything you need?" De'Andre asked, making his voice higher than usual to tease.

"Did you forget your lunchbox?" Caleb cooed.

Braxton narrowed his brows and flicked us the middle finger before saying, "Fuck off. I have everything I need." His teasing tone causing me and the guys to laugh a little.

"They grow up so fast." Caleb exaggerated a heartfelt sigh, wrapping his arm around Andre and I shoulders. We watched as Braxton made his way over to a group of friends, before they all made their way inside the building.

Sometimes I can't believe how much that kid has grown. It wasn't too long ago when he'd cry when someone left in a room by himself, and now he's starting high school. It never really hits me just how much has changed over these past six years, but a lot is different now and I guess that's just going to take some time getting used to.