6. You've Always Liked Me

It's almost time to go home. I've stuffed all my books into my backpack, and am ready to dash out the second Mr. Nam walks out the door.

Mr. Nam's our Math teacher, and he's really nice and dedicated. He wrote a whole bunch of numbers on the board, and some complicated diagrams, with arrows, of all lengths, pointing in all directions. 

I don't have a clue what that was all about, to tell you the truth.

My head feels kind of fuzzy, like my brain's not in there.

It's all Jaemin's fault, and all that drama that happened this morning. Hey, stop that, Kim Mina. Snap out of it. Focus. Focus. Do not, I repeat, do not think about that guy. Eun Sol, who's seated on my right, is staring at me. I see fear in her eyes. I must have been acting weird, gesticulating silently, and nodding to myself...come to think of it, my cheeks feel kind of strained. 

Junnie leans over to me, and whispers, "Are you okay? Your lips were all pulled back into a creepy kind of snarl." She shivers. "And you kept grinding your teeth, and jabbing at the air." Geez, I'm losing it. No wonder Eun Sol had that look of fear in her eyes. 

"I'm okay," I whisper back. "It's just my - my..." A brainwave strikes me, and I say in a rush,"My period. My period...just came, and I just got, um, angry, you know, and like more, um, violent...I mean, it's not me, it's my raging hormones..." my voice trails off weakly.

"O...kay," Junnie says, and very quietly, inches away from me, dragging her chair as far away from me as possible.

Mr. Nam collects his stuff, wishes us good day, and walks out the door, finally. 

Yes!

I turn and slip on my backpack.

There's a loud collective gasp from the class.

I look up.

I blink.

It's him.

Jaemin.

He's walking in, backpack and all, cool as ice, and heading down my row.

More gasps.

He's walking to my desk. 

He's stopped in front of me.

"Ready?" He plops his (very firm) behind on the edge of my desk.

"Huh?"

"We're walking home together. Remember?"

"I - I - I... ," I stutter.

Stares, noisy whispers and nudges from the rest of the class.

"Let's go," he says, and straightens nonchalantly. 

He reaches out, and grabs my wrist, and pulls me up.

He saunters out of the class, me stumbling awkwardly behind him.

The door swings shut behind us, and a deafening babble of disembodied voices swells and follows me, echoing mockingly along the indifferent grey walls, all the way down the corridor. We pass a whole bunch of people, and their mouths drop open in shock. Su Lin is walking ahead with a group of girls, and one of them turns around, sees us, and nudges her. She swivels her head to stare at us - and promptly bursts into tears.

Jaemin ignores her, and everyone else, and heads for the swinging doors at the entrance. We step out into the bright afternoon sunshine - or, rather, he steps out, and drags me behind him.

"Stop it," I yell furiously. "What the heck are you playing at?"

"You're my girlfriend," he says mildly, and continues to walk on, his fingers around my wrist.