Chapter 28

"Jesus Christ Mace I thought you had it sorted?" I cried as I ran a hand through my loose curls scanning the bus unsure on what to do next.

"Look calm down Carmen okay? It will be fine. We still have two hours to get there" he double checked his phone before firmly placing it in his pocket.

"Oh great, because I was worried, you know because it takes three to get there from here!" I yelled furiously hands thrown to the side of me. Mason took a step back, shocked.

Hands enveloped my shoulders before a soft rub set in cooling my nerves, relaxing my muscles.

"Can we get going? Now?" Peter asked calmly. Mace nodded and started up the bus.

Peter guided me to a seat and sat me down, gently patting my thigh.

"Max and Paxton do you mind packing up? Carmen is a little flustered" his voice so sweet and serene. How?

"I'm not 'flustered' I'm pissed off!" I corrected, blood beginning to bubble once again.

"Because I trusted HIM to know what he was doing!" Pointing at the back of Mason's head as he drove at a rapid pace up along the road.

"-Let's not play the blame game" Karli squeaked. Oh sorry, because you're getting in his pants it's off limits to be mad at him? I don't think so.

"Karli, don't start" Paxton defended for me as she folded another blanket and placed it nearly on the back seat.

Wiping sweat off my brow I stood up on shaky feet before needing to sit back down. Suddenly my head became extremely woozy before clearing up again.

"When was the last time you ate?" Peter asked standing in front of me. I hadn't even noticed his return.

"Uh few days ago? I don't know" Brushing off the question before attempting to stand again. Peter quickly pushed me back down. I'm getting sick of being pushed around lately, I can take care of myself you know.

"Car, you need to keep your strength up if you want to survive"

"And what if I don't want to survive?"

Peters face dropped into a frown, mouth moving to form a straight line.

It just slipped out, I didn't mean it.

I don't think.

"Don't say things like that Carmen. Not at a time like this" his voice was rough and coarse, not like before.

"Just forget it, I'll eat whatever, it's not a big deal like you're making it out to be"

"What's the matter with you Carmen? You don't have to be Mrs. Boss all the time you know! We can take care of you too, you're too busy telling everyone else what to do and you're not even taking care of yourself properly. Talk about a bad example"

Arms were crossed as he still hovered over me.

I placed my hands out in front of his chest an hung my head low, too furious to even look at him.

"I'm done talking to you right now Peter" I whispered before pushing him slightly to the left and heading up to the front of the bus. Leaning on the tar black dashboard the plastic brunt my palms. I didn't care, the sensation of burning skin was the only thing keeping me awake.

"Is this the fastest you can do?" His eyes flicked to mine, the green shimmered in the sun, so captivating, so sculpted. Quickly they flicked back to the road.

"No, but I'm worried If I go too fast we'll run out of gas before we get there"
Fingers wrapped tightly around the steering wheel, his nails chipped and dirty, skin looked dusty maybe even scaly.

"Do it. It's not like we have much to loose" I said as I ran my tongue along the back of my teeth skimming the grime.

"You sure?"

"Positive"

Suddenly a sharp click sound was created and the bus began to whizz down the road, I felt people stumble behind me, maybe when collapse into chairs.

Secretly I hoped it was Peter who had fallen.

Shutting my eyes I evaluated the situation carefully thinking of the possibilities.

Hopefully we make it.

What else can we hope for?

******

The forty five minutes was almost up, still in the exact same position and still running on an empty stomach. The burning feeling was almost gone, either the dashboard had cooled or my hands got used to the heat.

"I think I see the base" Mason said, eyes squinted and back leant forward on an unattractive angle.

I couldn't see anything due to some hills in the way but as we drove further and the hulls vanished into thin air I saw a glimpse of what we were aiming for, the army and airforce base.

Picking up the slightest amount of speed the base became clearer and clearer. Grey buildings stood tall with barb wire fencing surrounding acres of grass land and holding in forestry.

To me it looked like paradise.

Sad isn't it?

However before I could see anymore the bus began to slow down, whipping me head to Mason his hands now smacking the dash.

"Oh come on!" He cried.

"What's going on?" Max yelled from behind.

"No gas! We'll have to run from here!" Mason on replied getting to his feet, he pulled a lever and the door opened with a slam.

I got off first and watched everyone else follow. It's a habit.

"Let's go!"

Before I knew it everyone was bolting up the drive, from here it looked about four to five minutes run uphill. I was at the back, I tried to push myself to keep up but I couldn't. My body couldn't do it. My vision began to blur before everything was a mess. Still pushing my legs to run as fast as they could I felt me heartbeat echo throughout my body, head pounding.

Push. Push. Push.

I told myself swinging my arms violently in hope of gaining some speed or gravitational pull up the hill.

No use.

I was on the verge of collapsing when a silhouette formed among the blur.

It stopped and picked me up cradling my weak body, I wrapped my hands around his neck.

"Hold on tight" they said.

Max?

Peter?

Mason.

"Mason?" I croaked as he ran up the hill at maximum speed with me in his arms.

Jolting horribly I heard his breath wobble.

"That's my name don't wear it out"

I grinned against his shirt.

"You can put me down. I'm fine really"

He shook his head still catapulting up the drive.

"Peter isn't the only one who cares about you" he said, voice shaking.

"You've done a lot for us Car, let us help you out also" he continued to shake out.

"Oh shut up mace, talk less more run kapeesh?" I teased.

He made a wobbly laugh.

"Eye eye captain!" He yelled before really picking up speed.

I guess this troublesome twin have a heart after all.

******

Sorry I know it's the longest time I haven't updated! So so sorry, I'm on holiday atm so I'm catching up! Books coming to an end in a couple more chapters so il try update faster. Thank you all for being so patient and enthusiastic. So much love xx