Chapter 24

I scratched the back of my neck and exhaled harshly. We had to think about this carefully.

It was dangerous out there, and frankly I don't know how to get there, I mean we don't have a GPS and were low on gas.

We cannot afford to break down in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of blood drinking corpses.

Being thought of as the leader can be extremely difficult.

If we attempted to survive alone who knows what would happen? The town could run out of food or water.

Or the zombies could ambush us. If zombies could ambush... Can they?

I don't know if I'm willing to wait around that long to find out.

"Are we going to go?" Karli asked, her voice full of anticipation. Her eyes seemed searching for something in mine.

"I don't know. Does Mason even know about this?" I said gesturing to the radio with one hand as the other moved from my neck to my forehead in distress.

"No, I don't think so. Should we go talk to him?"
Karli was now scanning the hallway for his presence.

"I don't see why not" Said Peter chipping in.

"Right Well lets go find him" I stated as I began to slide myself off the bed.

We all headed out into the hall and stood outside his door. I began to knock quietly against the oak wood.

*knock*

*knock*

*knock*

A muffled noise came from inside the room. It wasn't an exact answer that we were looking for but at least there was a sign of the living in there.

Without a official answer we entered anyway.

The room was dark, quiet, and I could almost smell the sadness in the air.

With a hell of a lot of squinting I found Mason huddled in the bed.

"Mace...?" I whispered softly.

"Go away" he groaned angrily, I heard him turn over into his bed.

I crept toward the bed and climbed on, stretching out to find mason. I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him into me. One by one everyone joined us on the bed in a massive group cuddle.

I felt almost happy again.

Almost.

"We need to talk to you about something-" I began

"If it's your condolences, no thanks." Mason said rudely

"-its not, it's about us, including you. We heard some stuff on the radio a couple of hours ago. There is a refuge with other survivors, no ones infected there. They're promising safety. But the last chance to get to them is tomorrow"

Mason fell silent.

"The last chance is tomorrow eight am at Dawnburrows Air Force" I continued.

Mason scoffed.

"Dawnburrows Air Force is almost 4 hours away. By the time you guys wake up we won't make it." He informed us ever so sweetly. Note the sarcasm.

I glanced down at my watch. But it was too dark. I flipped on the lamp to check instead.

Everyone moaned and flinched at the sudden brightness.

"It's 1am now. We have seven hours" I looked at them in desperation.

"We need to decide what we are going to do and we need to decide now." I spoke harshly.

The group nodded.

"Should we vote?" Asked Paxton with a shrug. She was playing aimlessly with the end of her luscious brown hair, twirling it around her fingertips.

"Alright, all in favor of Dawnburrows raise your hand" I announced raising my arm into mid air.

Karli's hand shot up enthusiastically, followed by Paxton then Peter and Mason.

Beth, who had also crept into the room and placed herself at the foot of the bed however did not raise her hand.

"Beth, why don't you wanna go?" Peter asked reaching his hand out to touch hers. A pang of jealousy hit me in my chest. As she pulled her hand away the feeling sank and diminished itself.

"I like where we are" she whispered

"Macy is here" she finished defensively.

"Oh for the love of god Beth, when will you get it through your thick skull? She's dead! She's in the fucking ground! Stop thinking about her because she's not coming back!" Mason yelled at her, sitting up from his previous laying position and throwing his hands towards her, full throttle.

Beth took a deep breath and looked him in the eye.

"Just because your brother is dead and you are too childish to deal with any sort of pain or grief doesn't give you the right to yell at me for still wanting to still remember my friend"

"You don't think I can deal with pain or grief? My mother died when I was fifteen. I think I'm pretty fucking sure I know how to deal with pain thank you Beth, sorry I didn't come from a prefect in tact family like you" he retaliated

"If you haven't noticed by now Mason. All of our parents are dead too."

Beth's voice wasn't filled with absolute hatred but with a hint of sympathy instead.
Mason seemed to not have a come back for that and thought it best to keep quiet as he slunk back down into is fortress of solitude.

"So it's settled then?" I said breaking the rocky silence in the cold room.

"I guess so" replied Peter.

" I'm going to start packing our stuff" spoke Paxton.

"I'll help" Karli added.

Once they got up and left Peter and Beth decided they better put themselves to good use also.

"So..." Mason said sighing

"So..." I copied

"I'm sorry" Mason said, his face covered in his hands.

I pulled at his wrists and freed his face from his hands and enveloped mace in a great big hug. Inhaling his scent and running my bare nails up the back of his neck.

"Don't apologize, we all understand how you're feeling. You're not alone in this" I reassured him.

I felt his arms wrap around me tighter. Although his grip was restricting my breath I didn't care. He finally seemed to be opening up, just enough to let me in and that was all I ever wanted.

"Thank you" he said pulling away to meet my eyes.

I half smiled.

"Anytime"

"Now-" I spoke as I picked myself off the bed and prepared myself to leave.

"-lets get packing!"

| sorry for a late update but just remember that is one thirty am right now so be happy I put in the effort to write this at such a weird and exhausting hour so for that I think I deserve a vote, comment and a follow hehe. Xox |