Chapter 23

I watched as Masons face turned pale, a cold sweat fronting on his brow and upper lip. He lunged at the door, I jumped out of his way and almost slipped on account of so much water splashing on the floor boards.

"Garret! Garret!" He screamed slamming his body weight against the door repeatedly.

Finally, Mason's banging paid off as the door flew open.

I watched as mason brought his elbow up to cover his nose and mouth.

The smell of blood consumed the air.

"Stay out" Mason warned us. As he entered the blood infested bathroom and sunk to his knees next to the bathtub.

Without realizing I had grabbed Peters hand for comfort.

Mason was sobbing next to the body of his brother. Even though death is something we face on a daily basis. It never gets easier, especially when it is a beloved friend or family.

After what seemed like hours, Mason stood up. His face grim and his eyes flared with anger. Quickly he stormed past Peter and I , and began to rage at Beth

"You did this! You made him feel so guilty About fucking Macy!"

"I did nothing! He felt guilty all on his own!" She retaliated

His hands rolled into fists and slammed against his sides. Restraining himself

"You are such a disgusting person Beth, this is your fault. You drove my brother to kill himself all for a stupid bitch like Macy. The only reason you felt close to her is because she's the only one who could actually stand you! All you do is lie and cheat people! Haven't you had enough Beth?" Masons lips trembled and a shaky breath sat on his bottom lip.

"you have no right" Beth began quietly.

She stepped closer to Mason, tilting her head up to face him.

"You have no right to talk about her like that!" She screamed at him, then suddenly she rose her hand and slapped his left cheek creating a sharp noise.

Even I could feel the sting.

Beth exhaled and stormed into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

Mason's eyes didn't break from her door. His chest rose and fell gently, but his face was strained.

Finally he turned his head and looked over his shoulder to us.

"Clean him up"

That one sentence was enough to snap me from my frozen state and take action. By letting go of Peters hand initiated him to pick up Garret and start on his grave.

Slowly but steadily Karli, Paxton and I began to clean the blood and water off the bathroom floor and walls.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Was the sound of peters spade hitting the hot hard ground in the backyard.

To his beat we listened and cleaned.

From a strong group of lost teenagers three had already passed. It was only a matter of time before the zombies reached us and then would we even be strong enough to fight? Maybe physically but mentally was it just too much?

These thoughts rumbled inside my already busy brain.

I looked over at Karli. A month ago I would have seen a small petite child, pretty pink face with hair as golden as a ray of sun.

Now I see a young woman, harsh features and lack of sleep. Pale and slightly washed out skin with a messy shaggy blonde nest of hair

I look around once more and really look at Paxton. A month ago I would have seen my best friend, a happy smiling girl with a spirit for adventure.

Now I see a warrior, a hard working, scared and broken warrior wishing for this nightmare to end.

I didn't even bother looking in the mirror. I didn't even recognize myself anymore.

****

The bathroom took about two hours to clean up. After that we were pretty much exhausted.

Beth still hadn't left her room and Mason had just recently entered his.

Karli and Paxton were in the lounge with an old emergency radio that we had been trying to catch a signal on for the last few weeks. Everyday we tried but so far, no luck.

Peter on the other hand had the most draining job. He had dug Garrets grave and buried him in it.

Mason was reluctant about anyone saying a few words about him or decorating his body with flowers.

We obliged and stayed inside while Mason continued to grieve.

Peter and I were at the kitchen table. The spade had given him splinters and small cuts that I was nursing.

One leg was raised to my chest, with my heel firmly on the seat.

With a cold flannel I began to wash Peters hand and slowly nip at the thin pieces of wood In his palm. Peter winced but slowly got used to the pain and relaxed a little more.

"How you holding up chick?" Peter asked, starting light conversation.

I smiled weakly and brushed my forehead with my forearm

"Same old, same old. What about you dude?"

By now I had started wrapping his hands in bandages.

"Fine I guess. It's hard saying goodbye to a friend" Peters voice sounded hoarse and tired. I felt how he sounded.

I ran my hand along his cheek and he nuzzled his fave into my palm. I leaned over and placed a small sweet kiss on his poor pale pink lips.

"I know" I said sympathetically.

We chatted a little while longer before grabbing some food and heading up to our room.

We decided to share one now. Not that we needed to, but because we felt safer and more comforted knowing someone was with us.

I snuggled into Peters chest as he caressed my hair softly I began to drift off.

The sound of fast footsteps crashing up the stairs woke me. I groggily sat up in the hazy darkness, peeking over at Peter he was still fast asleep.

Without warning the door burst open and their stood an ecstatic Paxton and Karli, in their hands was the old radio.

"What's going on?" I asked mid yawn.

Karli sprang toward me with a glowing smile.

"It works!"

Quickly Paxton joined in

"It's been working the whole time! But the broadcast only comes on from six!"

I screamed internally

"What does it say?"

Paxton looked confused at me for a second.

"Nothing really yet. It's just been repeating 'attention listeners' for the past five minutes"

I internally cried.

"But he's sure to say something soon!" Karli exclaimed bringing the hope back into me.

"What are you guys doing?" Peter said tiredly, he sat up and stretched before examining the radio for himself.

"Shh! He's saying something!" Paxton hushed as she started to listen intensively.

"Broadcast 29: survivors are urged to get to Dawnburrows air force center at 8am. I repeat all survivors get to Dawnburrows air force center at  eight am. There is a camp where you will be safe. All infected persons shall be executed on arrival. Un-infected humans only. This will be the last broadcast sent out. Goodnight and good luck"

Once the broadcast finished a loud high pitched screech exited the speaker. Quickly we turned it off.

Everyone went silent.

"You know what this means right?" Peter said quietly. His eyes glazed over in thought

"Yes" I began

"We're not the only ones"