Chapter 22

My heart was racing in my fragile chest. As my eyes scanned the rooms for Karli and Garret I made sure i kept an eye out for potential leaving notes or even a "gone to the lake Be back soon"

something

anything

"anything?" Max yelled out from upstairs.

"Nothing!" I yelled back. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, i flipped my head around to check who it was. Peter.

"Cant find them either?" I asked shrugging in defeat. Karli is, no offence, too weak to run away by herself, and she was especially too intelligent to do a stupid thing like that anyway. Anyone in there right mind wouldn't put themselves in the middle of the forest ripe for the picking of any zombie.

Garret on the other hand could possibly survive alone. I don't know why he'd want to though, I mean we all care deeply for him. So he had no reason to leave.

Unless he still felt guilty for Macy. It wasn't his fault, even though he insisted it was. No one knew she would turn that fast, or at  all. He did the right thing. She could have killed me.

But Macy was already dead

I was truly grateful for him saving my life. Paxton bounced into the room with grace, her body flowed with her sudden movement. Paxton's face on the other hand was full of worry, when Paxton looks worried it makes her face age like fifteen years, and you know what pisses me off?

she still looks bloody hot.

"Maybe we should check the lake?" I suggested. Paxton seemed a little distant but quickly nodded and headed out the door. Making sure to follow quickly, i chucked on some slip on shoes and kept on her tail.

She began biting her nails nervously, I gently rubbed her arm to comfort her.

"We'll find them Pax, don't worry" i said smiling hopefully. Her brown eyes dropped to the floor as she quietly whispered,

"and what if we don't?"

Sighing, i took her hand and continued down the track toward the lake.

"I guess we will find out soon" The rest of the walk was peaceful but quiet. Well peaceful in a sense, i mean there was no talking and just the birds and wind. My brain on the other hand was a box of birds.

Why would they leave?

Where would they have gone?

Do you think they will come back?

Have zombies attacked them?

Did they take anything?

Shut up brain, just SHUT UP.

Come on Carmen... You wanna know the answers

Damn you brain...

"Carmen, no ones here" Paxton said panicked, her eyes filling with tears.

They're dead Carmen. You know it.

"Come on Pax, I'm sure they are probably at home"

Heading back up the track once again was more agonizing then the first. As we came up the stairs we both heard repetitive bangs from inside the house. Pax and I looked at each other in confusion before bursting in the door. The sound was coming from upstairs.

I ran up the stairs and almost slipped in water on the hard wood floor. I watched in shock to Mason running into the bathroom wall repeatedly with Beth and Max beside him with fear plastered on their faces. 

"Whats going on?" I practically screamed, trying to communicate with someone over the loud banging.

"We think Karli's in there!" Beth yelled back, grasping Max's hand in fear.

"Why do you think that!?" 

"We tried looking under the door but the crack is covered with the same color shirt that Kali was wearing today!" Max continued for Beth.

My eyes started to sting. 

no, no, no...

I ran towards the door and started banging with my fists.

"Karli! Open up!" I cried hysterically. Max pulled me off the door kicking and screaming.

"We have already tried that Car! Shes not responding!" He cried with just as much panic.

"Woah, whats with all the water?" Someone asked.

"Karli's in the bathroom!" I yelled, eyes fixed on the door.

"No I'm not" She said.

I quickly turned my head. There, at the top of the stairwell stood Karli.

Wait. I thought to myself. 

If Karli's here then who is in the Bathroom.

I gasped.

"Garret!"

A/N: Hey! Yeah i tried to update A/S/A/P for you guys ;) hope you liked the twist. kinda predictable i know but still! VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW <3