Chapter 25

After I had finished stocking bags with cans of food and bottles of water I headed into the bedrooms to fold up blankets. Around one thirty I had started shoving our shit into the bus.

I wiped my forehead with my forearm and swiftly brushed excess swear from under my eyes. As I stood against the kitchen door frame, a pair of familiar arms slinked around my waist and pulled me back into a warm chest.

Inhaling deeply I started to relax into him and let my eyelids close quietly.

"How you doing?" Peter asked rubbing his chin against my shoulder. He smelt like lemon cake and spoke sweet like sugar.

My insides groaned. I'm exhausted, scared, drained and miserable.

"I'm good"

Lies.

"I'm glad. Are you hungry, I could grab you something to eat?" Peter added

"No thanks, I'm fine"

More lies.

"Okay, well I'll continue to pack then"

Peters face quickly turned and he pressed his lips against my cheek briefly before whisking himself away.

Flicking my wrist up towards me I checked my watch. Two am.

Once again I continued to pack up things that we may need on the trip, for example

Food for hunger

Water for thirst

Clothing for warmth

And weapons for the odd bashing in of a stray zombies head

As I mentally re checked everything we packed in y head I watched through a patch of musty glass what seemed to be two people in deep conversation.

My instinct of course was to sneak closer and see if I could listen in.

Which is exactly what I did.

I crept closer to the kitchen window and leant over the sink, closing my face into the glass the faces became clearer.

Sitting on a couple of beach chairs over looking the burning out bomb fire was Mason and Karli. I could see their lips moving, obviously they were talking about something. Something that was kind of important by the way that their facial expressions were.

Again, I tried my best to hear what they were saying. Finally I heard Mason speak,

"I really like you Karli... I do, but the thing is. So did Garret, and I could never do it to him. He's my brother... Was my brother"

"Mason, I really like you too. I never did anything with Garret and I especially didn't return the attraction! I know this is hard for you but... I don't think he would want us to stay apart. Our time is limited, he would want you happy wouldn't he?" Karli pleaded. She stretched her hand out across to Masons chair.

Mason extended his also and their hands met in the middle, slowly their fingers entwined and locked together.

Mason and Karli? Together? She has never mentioned him before or ever shown an interest! I'm one of her best friends I would notice wouldn't I? Or has the Apocalypse really blinded me from even my closest friends?

I felt a little hurt that she didn't tell me.

And a little angry that I didn't pick up on it. God I am so self obsessed.

Suddenly something unexpected snapped my back to reality.

Mason started leaning into Karli. He cupped her cheek and she tilted her head upward, sweetly they both leant in...

"Carmen?" Max's voice made me jump higher than a kangaroo on steroids. My hand slipped knocking a plate onto the floor with a crash.

"What are you doing?" He asked intrigued, Coming closer in attempt to see what I was so enveloped in. I moved to block the sight, not sure of his reaction.

"Uh nothing, it's nothing"

"Didn't seem like nothing" Max argued on his toes, trying his best to see past me.

"Seriously! I swear its nothing"

Finally he stopped.

"Okay"

Phew.

"So, how are you and Peter..." Max started awkwardly. I know he's only asking for my sake, but it's still sweet if him to try.

I laugh awkwardly in attempt to dodge the question. When he goes silent I realize he's expecting an answer.

"We're good. We're happy. As happy as we can be at the moment" I smiled, awkwardly wiping down the bench top.

"I'm glad"

Max sounded genuine. It made me grin to myself. I brushed a loose piece of hair away from my eyes and behind my air.

"Please don't be awkward around me" he begged.

"I'm still your best friend" his hand rubbed with warmth. I turned and walked into a tight hug. I felt so safe.

Safer than I had in a while.

Sounds of footsteps filled the room. Beth walked in.

"It's three o'clock people! If we want to make it on time, we better start leaving!" She bellowed clapping her hands with an urge of impatience.

Here we go.

Our last chance.