i

- - -

     "daddy, why is mommy crying?"

     "daddy, why is mommy's eye purple?"

     "daddy? what's wrong with mommy?"

     "daddy! stop it!"

    - - -

     seven is the age where you're too young to understand what the word 'cruelty' means. seven is the age where the world around you is pure and innocent, full of light and hearty laughter.

full of lullabies and soft blankies, cocoa with marshmallows, and bunny slippers.

mommy and daddy, tucking you under the covers in your bed.

mommy and daddy, playing puppet for your sake.

     seven isn't the age where your daddy should have his fingers wrapped around your neck, squeezing at your jugular until your vision is blurry and breathing becomes harder and harder by each second that passes.

     he still remembers the bruises that were left upon his skin, ugly hues of purple and black littered across milky white flesh.

     he remembers the feeling of his daddy throwing him across the living room, blinded by rage as he screamed profanities at the little boy.

first, a sharp kick to the abdomen.

     he didn't understand why.

then a glass bottle to his head.

     he wanted his mommy.

something warm ran down the side of his face.

     but where was she?

     "mommy?"

his head hurt.

"mommy?"

     screaming.

     crying.

     the sound of glass shattering.

     "mommy!"

     silence.

     tears.

then, the cold eyes of his approaching daddy.

footsteps, scarily slow.

"daddy? where's mommy?" came out between choked sobs.

no response.

tugged off the ground by his shirt collar, lifted into his daddy's arms.

"daddy needs you to go to sleep for a little bit, okay?" raspy. cold. malicious.

his breath was bitter, reeking of something rancid.

"daddy, i don't understand!" the little boy wailed, grabbing out to his father.

"where's mommy at, daddy? tell me!"

silence.

"you'll see her soon, son."

and then darkness.

- - -

the accident had made national headlines, decorating the headings of papers all around the country.

'deranged father beats wife to death with shattered beer bottle, leaving young son to bleed to his death.'

stomach churning. vomit inducing.