eighteen

I'm so sorry that this took so long to get out, loves! I had big plans for this chapter but I needed to minimize it. I finally figured out what I'm gonna do. Hope you enjoy!

"Don't tell me I'm gonna lose.." Maya sighed.

"Sadly," I leaned back. "Check. Mate." I smirked.

"Jesus, Aya. This is the ninth time you beat me! Don't you get tired?" Maya said.

"Not one bit. I have to beat Miles. Just one more game? Please?" I begged.

"Just for me to lose? Please. Go against Mia." Maya scoffed.

I frowned and stretched. "Fine then. I'll take a break."

"We should make ramen!" Maya smiled while turning on the TV.

The phone rang and I answered it.

"Wright and Co. Law Offices, Aya Fey speaking, how may I help you?" I asked sweetly.

"Aya, darling, we need you in Kurain Village. Urgently." The girl said and then hang up.

"What was it?" Maya asked, heating up her ramen.

"I'm apparently urgently needed in Kurain Village..." I looked at Maya.

"Oh." She gulped. "That doesn't sound good."

I nodded. "I wonder...what for?"

"She probably wants you to be Master of the Kurain Channeling Technique!" Maya said with determination.

"Master of the Kurain Channeling Technique, you say?" A familiar voice spoke from behind me.

Leaning against the doorway was Mr. Edgeworth.

"Mr. Edgeworth!" I said, happily.

"Always lovely to see you, Aya." Mr. Edgeworth walked inside.

"Jesus, you two are like....daughter and father!" Maya giggled.

"'Cause we are!" Mr. Edgeworth and I said, exchanging a surprised glance to each other and then laughing.

"Oh boy, here comes the koala." Maya said, rolling her eyes.

Phoenix walked in, obviously sleepy, and slumped in his chair.

"How many hours of sleep did you get this time?" Maya asked Phoenix, taking out her phone.

"Thirty minutes." Phoenix said, halfway asleep.

"Wow! That's a new record!" Maya said, typing something into her phone.

"Are you tracking his sleep?" I asked.

Maya nodded. "Yup. One time, he got one hour of sleep. The most he's gotten is seven hours." 

"Poor man." Mr. Edgeworth said.

"Here, Pheenie, I'll make you coffee!" I smiled, walking over to the coffee machine.

There was a soft, bright smile on Phoenix's face.

"Pheenie..." He turned his head to the side. "I haven't heard that in a while."

Just a second later, Franziska rushed through the doorway, almost tripping.

"Fools!" She panted.

"What a way to greet us, madam." Mr. Edgeworth joked.

"Hush it! Miles has been attacked!" She said, obviously trying to hold in tears.

Despite her hostility, she has quite the hard time keeping in tears after what happened with her and Miles at the airport.