Chapter 30: Batman's Wife

Start from the beginning

          “Faith, that’s not a piece of junk. You shouldn’t wear stuff like that, it looks Satanic.” 

        “How would you know that?”

        Aunt Sarah opened her mouth to reply, when Mom and dad poked their head into my room. 

        “Surprise!” they screamed in unison.

        “I should have known you two were in on this!” I laughed, and then realized something. “You guys know I have school today, right? Why would you let Aunt Sarah come so early?”

        Aunt Sarah put a finger to her lips, her strange mood gone. “I talked to your mother. You’ve just got that terrible migraine, and it’s best that you do something fun today…” She winked at me. “Play along, kid! We’re breaking you out of jail!”

        I looked towards my mother, who winked at me. “Mom? You let this happen?”

        “Hey, I can be fun sometimes!” she argued. “Especially when it’s almost my baby’s birthday!”

        She never acted spontaneous and fun like this Aunt Sarah was around, but my father did. My parents weren’t as visibly brain washed, as they were the day before. However, they clearly had no recollection of Death’s visit in our home.

        They still had absolutely no idea that a big, muscular, intimidating, and unmistakably hot drama queen in a cloak was after me.

        “We’ve been planning this for weeks, honey,” Dad confessed, kissing me on the head. “Aunt Sarah thought up this great idea for today. We decided we would give you a long weekend for your birthday. I almost said no, though, because of all the crazy stuff that’s been happening in the city, but Aunt Sarah’s plan avoids the city completely.”

        “What crazy stuff?” I asked.

        “Have you been watching the news?” Mom asked.

        “No, I haven’t,” I said, plopping back down on the bed. The last time I had watched anything on my television was when it went static and Death’s smooth, accented voice came through the set. A shiver went down my spine. “I haven’t been watching television recently.”

        “Good. Television is bad. Kills brain cells.” Mom sat next to me on the bed and absently ran her fingers through my long hair. “It’s drugs that are causing this crazy thing, I’m telling you,” she told my father and Aunt Sarah. “The drug rates in Chicago are skyrocketing.”

        Aunt Sarah put her hands on her hips. “Is this about that ‘body’ they found at that park?” She rolled her eyes. “I heard the main eye witness was a crack addict!”

        “What are you all talking about?” I asked taking small bites of the meal my mother put in front of me. 

        “I’ll show you. I’m sure they’re still be reporting it…” Dad turned the television on.

        “In the latest, the crime rate in Chicago has inexplicably snowballed, after a so called “Man with Wings” was found dead outside of the D & S Towers. Bystanders say the mystery man vanished from plain sight before investigators could arrive on the scene...”

        The news station flashed to a witness. “He was alive for a while. He spoke to me. Then, he just went… poof, and vanished. It happened so fast. I swear I’m not crazy. I’m not one of those people who go to Church every Sunday, you know, but I believe in a God. And something just isn’t right about this. Something just doesn't feel right about Illinois anymore. I feel it in my gut, you know?”