CHAPTER 1 "worth it" (Luisa)

A huge thank you to oskar-black  for making another lovely cover

A huge thank you to oskar-black for making another lovely cover.

***

"Hi, Luisa. It's Jane. Rose is holding me hostage, and she said that if you don't get on flight... Pan Atlantic 7859 to Miami and meet her at my father's premiere party, sh... she'll kill someone you love. And if you tell anyone about this, she'll kill another person that you love. Please, call us back."

The voice mail went dead. My phone smashed on the ground, the screen cracked. Fumbling I finally found Janes number. It rang once. Then I heard her silky voice.

" Hi, beautiful. I take it you got my message."

"I'll do whatever you want, Rose. Just don't hurt anybody. I'm on my way to the airport right now."

"Fantastic."

Hectically I drove to the airport, sweat trickled down my back, my stomach ached and gurgled with anxiety. I had to hurry if I wanted to make it in time.

I raced up the stairs, hair sticking to my face. Throwing open the metal door I saw Rose pointing a gun at Rafael and Jane. I was never a good liar, but I'd have to be if I wanted to get out of this mess.

"Let them go! I won't go anywhere with you if you touch them."

"No problem. I knew you'd come. I told you. Ours is the greatest love story ever told."

She placed her hand on my shoulder and one on my cheek. I melted into her touch. I couldn't help myself. What if I wasn't strong enough? What if she won? The one addiction I couldn't overcome? But the image of my frightened brother was burned into my mind. I had to do this. There was no other way. She would never stop until she had me.

"It might be. But it ends now."

"What?"

I revealed an orange pill.

"Wh-what is that?"

"Cyanide."

"My family will never be safe until I'm gone."

Rose wrestled me, struggling to get the pill.

"No, Luisa! Don't."

I popped it into my mouth. Swallowing dramatically.

"NOOOOOOO!" I had never heard her scream quite like that. Hairs on my arms and neck stood up, chilling me to the bone.