Chapter Two: A Cause

The Galra cannot swallow their pride or take any offenses and bury them deep inside their hearts. Every offense or tarnishment may only be washed off with the blood of the offender spilled in a fair fight.
The Book of Honour, chapter 1

- Wh-what? - Keith's voice trembled. This couldn't be true! He was already horrified by the mere thought of hurting his friends, but doing this was a hundred times worse.
- You've heard him, - Lance was back to the conversation again. - You've almost killed everyone on this ship including yourself.
His unusually serious and harsh tone made Keith shrug.
- I-i don't remember any of it, - Keith murmured. - Shiro, please, tell me what have I done!
His voice broke at the end of the sentence, turning a scream into a cry. The prisoner watched in awe as Allura and Pidge shivered and pulled themselves closer to each other, as if searching for a help, and Hunk went stiff, as if getting ready to shelter anyone who might need it.
Keith looked at his hands. They were stained with blood. The skin was purple, clawed fingernails left bloody marks on his palms. Keith looked at his body. He was wearing his Blade of Marmora armor, but now it could barely been named like that. In some places the material was burned, somewhere it was cut, and through holes and tears he saw one thing again and again: purple skin and blood. Tears started to fall down his cheeks, which was the first time from a long ago. He has always been the one who managed to keep his feelings deep within, but now it was too much.
- Give me a mirror, - he asked. Shiro gave Allura a questioning look, and she nodded carelessly. After that, the Black Paladin pressed some buttons on the control panel and the glass of the cell darkened, hiding the visitors from Keith's view. The next moment the prisoner was confronted by his own reflection in the mirror. But Keith could barely recognize himself in the creature in front of him.
His normally pale skin was now a shade of lavender purple, two stripes of even darker skin went from his neck through jawline and cheeks and ended sharply under the cheekbones. Keith's dark hair was in mess, and when he touched the place where his head hurt most, there was more blood on his hand. With his hands shaking, Keith examined his pointed ears with earflops bigger than normal and pointed as well. Eyes were probably the most terrifying trait of the creature. Yellow sclera glowed in the darkness, irises were vivid violet, not the usual dark steel purple, and even the pupils were slightly stratched in the shape of vertical ellipses. When his lips curved in disgust, Keith saw prominent fangs among the other teeth. This can't be happening, he thought. His single wish right now was to all this bizarre events of the last two or three days just be another nightmare. But the voice of reason in his head reminded:"This is not a dream. And you're no human being". Also, the pain would not leave him, reminding him that he had done something terrible and what he'd become. It wasn't surprising that he felt like his whole body was burning: there were at least a dozen of shot marks on his arms and legs (gifts from Lance, of course), few stabs (Pidge's bayard?) and Keith felt countless bruises pulse with blood, covering almost every inch of his body. But there was something else, something rushing through his veins, making them scorch. It was unbearable.
The mirror went transparent again. What now, Keith wondered in his mind. What will they do to him? Will they keep him forever imprisoned in this cell? Or will they surrender him to Galra? Simply killing him would be their best option, but the look in Shiro's eyes says that he won't let that happen.
As if he'd heard Keith's thoughts, Lance asked:
- What do we do now?
But before Shiro could say anything, Coran emerged from the darkness, holding a huge old book in his hands.
- I found it! - he shouted. - Darzali dor Inflerno!
- What? - Lance asked, seemingly irritated.
- The Book of Honour, - was the answer.
- Coran, what are you talking about? - now it was Allura's turn to sound annoyed. - Keith woke up, we need to discuss his future by now.
- The Book of Honour, Princess, is the old manuscript where every single piece of information the Galra know about themselves had been placed. Your father, King Alfor, used it a lot to establish contact with Emperor Zarkon.
The expression of pain appeared on Princess's face, but Coran haven't paid any attention to it, and continued:
- It has a whole volume dedicated to the halfbreeds. Mixed race children was something they couldn't outrun while conquering galaxy after galaxy, although marrying non-Galra and mixing blood was considered showing weakness. I thought that this book might explain what happened last night.
- You mean the SLAUGHTER that happened last night? Please call things by their names, - Allura said harshly, giving Keith a dead glare. He dropped his head and stared at the blood smears on the floor of his cell. Meanwhile Coran resumed:
- It's curious that the halfbreeds appear to have some specific traits. The ones with their Galra heritage suppressed by the heritage of the other race, - he shot Keith a meaningful look, - may experience something called "The Flame of Purification".
The prisoner's head tilted up.
- When they are betrayed, or hurt, or intimidated, or humiliated badly, mentally or physically injured by their loved ones, relatives, friends or people they are close to, when they lose their trust in everybody they know, the halfbreeds of this type (they call them 'water-blooded') burst with uncontrolled rage and attack everybody who's hurt them. At the same time, the Galra genes that were recently suppressed, undergo expression, which causes monstrous pain, for every cell of the halfbreed's body is being rebuilt according to the Galran type. This leads to suicidal behavior, for the only two wishes that remain in the wild creature the halfbreed is becoming while going through "The Flame of Purification" are to kill everyone who made them feel this way and to put an end to all this pain they're experiencing by killing themselves.
The dead silence fell and reigned in the room for a long time, interrupted only by Keith's mourns - painful attempts not to scream.