t w e n t y e i g h t

Cardiac Arrest due to complications of Cancer. Misa Washington had fought a good fight , a long one and she was at rest. However, as her granddaughters sat on her couch watching the barrage of well-wishers that passed them each with a cake and a story about Misa, they couldn't feel more resent.

"I can't believe she's gone." Zara stated absently , almost as if she weren't present.

Glancing over at her , Zolee placed a hand on her shoulder only to be shrugged off as she got up and went outside.

It was tough, they weren't prepared for this but death didn't care about preparations. Misa had also given them enough warnings.

"Hey Zo" Aya took Zara's place, wrapping a comforting arm around Zolee while Yara took her other side and did the same thing. Destin and Kaia sat on the floor placing comforting hands on her thighs.

The interactions immediately affected her, sighing she let out a shaky breath before she felt tears begin to fall from her eyes.

"Hey, hey we know it's hard Zo but remember we're always here for you." Yara offered before squeezing her hand.

"Yeah , since we were kids and nothing will change that okay? Cry if you feel like you have to Zolee , this is painful."

Nodding at the words of wisdom was harder than she thought possible. Her heart felt like it was breaking in her chest but as she rubbed a hand over her stomach, she found her tears subsiding.

Helpless D'Angelo watched from the sidelines trying to piece together how he'd help her through this. After all he had promised he would.

"Man , she'll be alright. Zolee's strong."

Devin Booker was a welcome face as he placed a hand on his friend's shoulder in support.

"I know but this is her grandmother, she raised her. I can't imagine what she's feeling, I've never seen her be this openly vulnerable before."

Sighing , Devin nodded before he motioned for D'Angelo to follow him outside. In situations like this , thoughts were formulated best in open air.

"She's got a lot on her shoulders man."

Under the dark Colorado night sky , the reality of the situation smacked D'Angelo in the face. Zolee and change were hardly friends, it took her a while to cope.

"I hear you, but you know you're the only person she'll probably actually talk to. Her and sis don't look so close and Aya said she hasn't talked to them much but she's crying less."

"She's good at pulling herself together Devin , I'm just concerned about how. She's had to take the reins on all this funeral planning for tomorrow because Zara's just catatonic. She cries all night , sleeps almost all day. I'm just worried about her honestly."

Chuckling ironically , Devin sat down on the bannister of the gate surrounding the porch. Tyler came out and joined them , dapping D'Angelo who eyed him warily , Tyler raised his hands in peace.

"Look , Zolee and I got to know each other some when she visited Phoenix. I just came to pay my respects and make sure she was good. She's your girl and at least I know she's in good hands."

"Thought I was a snitchin' ass bitch ass nigga Ulis?"

The antagonism in D'Angelo's voice was hard to miss as he stared at Tyler, unmoved by his words. Taking a look at the mutual friend in the midst of all this , Tyler sighed at Devin's indifference.

"Imma be honest Russell , that was you. Obviously, you've changed, she's changed you so I'm guessing you two are good for each other. I've seen enough of my boys bite the love dust and get all whipped and shit to know. You alright, man are we good?"