"stopping by to say a small hello," maci chirped up.

areum wasn't impressed. she stayed calm. "great, go now."

maci frowned. "why? can't i stay?"

areum furrowed her eyebrows. she wasn't having it today as she had to study for the tests coming up. maci was being a major distraction, and she didn't want to deal with her being annoying and demanding for attention.

"when i say go, then go. it doesn't mean stay," areum said one last time before going back to studying. however, maci didn't budge from where she stood.

a couple of minutes of silence passed, then maci spoke up again, "have you guys seen felix?" sowon's blood began to boil as hyunjin gritted his teeth, trying hard to hold in his painful feelings. how he wished so badly that the girl would leave them alone.

"what the heck do you want, maci," sowon sharply said, glaring at the girl. "i'm done with your dumb intentions. just leave, please."

maci rolled her eyes. "i wasn't asking you, was i?"

sowon scoffed, "i answered. questions are meant to be answered."

"you asked me a question in return," maci sensitively replied back, annoyed.

meanwhile, the two were arguing back and forth, areum felt her frustration level rise. she looked at hyunjin from the corner of her eyes, seeing how quiet he was. hyunjin would literally hug maci right now, but he was staying as still as a rock. she knew something right away was up.

areum began to pack her stuff quickly, nudging hyunjin. when the boy glanced up briefly, areum nodded her head at his books and bag. he caught on quickly and began to pack his books into his bag.

she was done putting her notes and books away, shaking her head when she found sowon and maci still bickering. she saw hyunjin grab his water bottle to put it in his bag, but she stopped him and grabbed it out of his grasp, confusing him.

areum said nothing. she took the lid off, steadying her eyes on maci as that was her number one target. she began to count in her head, silently. before even getting to zero, she thrust the water bottle forward at maci, making her shirt wet.

maci's mouth agape, shocked and obviously surprised. she was about to say something to sowon, but the soft material that was now damped stuck to her stomach. maci let out a frustrated scream, causing heads in the library to look over at her. even the librarian who was not impressed by the loud noise.

hyunjin hastily sat up in the chair to avoid getting wet while sowon sat in her seat, baffled. hyunjin grabbed sowon's stuff and pulled her arm, screaming, "let's go!" fast, the three got out of the library, abandoning maci.

"shit, that was wild," sowon breathed out, panting a little. hyunjin's grip dropped on her as he used both hands to clutch his shirt that was hovering above his chest. he let out a loud laugh, enjoying the shocked look on maci's face.

"she deserved it," areum reasoned. "she didn't shut her mouth. i swear she gets on my nerves. she gets on everyone's nerves actually."

sowon nodded her head as they began to walk back to the direction of areum's house. they had to go home now as they knew they would get in trouble if they went back to the library.

eventually, sowon parted ways with the two. she had to go back home as her mother was making dinner, and she had to help out in the kitchen. that left areum and hyunjin by themselves.

"well," areum started as soon as the turned the corner that led to their street. "the past few weeks and days have been hectic."

hyunjin nodded. "tell me about it..." he was dazed, just a little bit. the images of maci never leaving his mind. just the way she looked beautiful in the dress she wore for her birthday party. how pretty she looked when she smiled at him. he missed her, but his heart didn't. why was it that whenever he tried to love someone, nobody wanted him? why did no one want to return their love back?

areum cleared her throat as she examined the silent boy. "something's up with you. you better tell me or i'll figure it out myself."

hyunjin pursed his lips. he shut his eyes closed for a second, tightly, then he opened them again. a frustrated sigh left his lips, causing areum to worriedly look at him.

"just - i'm going crazy," hyunjin whispered, shaking his head. tears briefly appeared in his brown eyes, making areum stop in her tracks to face him.

the gentle breeze caressed their hair, playfully blowing it as the lonely, empty street remained silent. it was peaceful as birds chirped their lullabies in the background. no one was around, only them. just them.

"no," areum frowned. "you're not. tell me. what's on your mind? let me help you."

hyunjin smiled a little, blinking back the tears as his eyes stung. "maci and i aren't together anymore." areum eyes widened at that, shocked at the truth. then her mind quickly replayed the events from earlier. no wonder why hyunjin was acting strange around his 'girlfriend'.

without speaking a word to him, she pulled him into a tight hug. "you're too good for her, anyway. you deserve someone worth your time and effort."

hyunjin bit his bottom lip, forcing himself not to cry any tears. he knew he would shatter in a few seconds, but he didn't allow himself to. he had to be strong.

"these secrets that i am not telling you is making me guilty so i will be straight up honest with you from now on," hyunjin said next. "areum... remember that time when you asked me on my birthday how do you love someone?"

areum slowly nodded her head. "yeah..."

"i'm eighteen, just two years away from twenty. i admit i don't know what love is yet, but i thought i was in love. i don't realize the things i do because of love. it's just love and love, and why do we need love?" hyunjin ranted. his eyes were holding so much emotion in them. "and why do we need to love someone? why do we need to love our own self before loving others?"

hyunjin closed his eyes, letting his chin rest on her shoulder as a single tear rolled down his eyes. "i hate this feeling."

author's note
there's a reason i'm writing long chapters now... it's because i don't want the book to end just yet. i'm suspecting this book will end around 47 or 50 chapters :'(

anyway, have a nice day!